Premed 101 Forums

University Of Limerick

I wanted to start a thread about this school to collect general thoughts about the school, the curriculum, the city, etc.

What does everyone think?

How about that problem-based learning?

What are your thoughts on not learning with cadavers?

Thanks everyone!

Not learning on cadavers is advantageous for many people. Prosections are what many schools use, and for good reason. Not everyone learns much from spending time blindly cutting and messing about. Some people are into that, but even then you don't "need" it even if you want to go into a surgical field.  Plenty of opportunities to get comfortable and proficient in things later on.

Not learning on cadavers is advantageous for many people. Prosections are what many schools use, and for good reason. Not everyone learns much from spending time blindly cutting and messing about. Some people are into that, but even then you don't "need" it even if you want to go into a surgical field.  Plenty of opportunities to get comfortable and proficient in things later on.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree with you. They now have an anatomage table to help teach anatomy. They describe it as likee an iPad, but the size of a human body. The software allows for manipulation of the body such as 3D rotation, and pulling away muscles, nerves, lymph, etc. for a better look at systems.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree with you. They now have an anatomage table to help teach anatomy. They describe it as likee an iPad, but the size of a human body. The software allows for manipulation of the body such as 3D rotation, and pulling away muscles, nerves, lymph, etc. for a better look at systems.

Even that is a gimmick to be honest.  Just get an atlas, or two, and learn what you need to know.   All these ipads and life like things, are in truth rarely actually used by the students - because they're too busy actually learning other content.

As someone who has experienced dissection on cadavers and also a school without, I really would argue it depends on the person. Overall, I believe dissection is useful for those who are more hands on learners. For those who don't care much for surgery/hands on/anatomy then I do believe prosection is good enough. 

With that being said, I personally liked dissection better, but I am someone who also likes hands on stuff. I actually discovered that I was a hands on person through dissection. The important thing people who argue against dissection always forget is that dissection includes everything that prosection offers plus dissection. You will still be reading anatomy books, still be looking at anatomy that has been expertly dissected etc. Lastly, there is something to be said about tradition, dissection is a bit of a disappearing fact of history and it is nice to be able to one day still fondly recall your dissection lab days just like the old docs do today. 

With that being said, dissection is probably not very useful for most medical students, since around 80% of medical students will not end up in a procedural specialty and even for those who do, dissection isn't mandatory. 

Hi everyone,

I got my official acceptance letter today from Limerick. It says that the full tuition amount (41,000 euro) is due on August 1st. No deferral or late payments are possible.

However, I am waitlisted at Dalhousie and I think I am lower down on the list. If I were to get in, it would happen late in the game.

If I pay the tuition to Limerick and later get accepted at Dal, will I lose my 41,000 euro?

Is tuition refundable if the semester hasn't even begun yet?

Your help is super appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I got my official acceptance letter today from Limerick. It says that the full tuition amount (41,000 euro) is due on August 1st. No deferral or late payments are possible.

However, I am waitlisted at Dalhousie and I think I am lower down on the list. If I were to get in, it would happen late in the game.

If I pay the tuition to Limerick and later get accepted at Dal, will I lose my 41,000 euro?

Is tuition refundable if the semester hasn't even begun yet?

Your help is super appreciated.

You should ask them.

If youre waitlisted at Dalhousie. Probably worth it to just reapply. Means youre close to the mark and luck can change anything.

Thanks for this. I have given this a lot of consideration, and for many reasons, it makes the most sense for me to start next year.

Does anyone know whether tuition is refundable before the semester starts?

If youre going abroad, you need resourcefulness to make it back. This is a small task, that you should be able to figure out. Contact the school tactfully and ask them.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who has experienced dissection on cadavers and also a school without, I really would argue it depends on the person. Overall, I believe dissection is useful for those who are more hands on learners. For those who don't care much for surgery/hands on/anatomy then I do believe prosection is good enough. 

With that being said, I personally liked dissection better, but I am someone who also likes hands on stuff. I actually discovered that I was a hands on person through dissection. The important thing people who argue against dissection always forget is that dissection includes everything that prosection offers plus dissection. You will still be reading anatomy books, still be looking at anatomy that has been expertly dissected etc. Lastly, there is something to be said about tradition, dissection is a bit of a disappearing fact of history and it is nice to be able to one day still fondly recall your dissection lab days just like the old docs do today. 

With that being said, dissection is probably not very useful for most medical students, since around 80% of medical students will not end up in a procedural specialty and even for those who do, dissection isn't mandatory. 

I'm a surgeon and we didn't do any dissection at my med school. Didn't make a lick of difference to my education. 

I'm a surgeon and we didn't do any dissection at my med school. Didn't make a lick of difference to my education. 

Not saying it will, especially once you actually start your career. With that being said, it is nice to experience nonetheless. I think its up to the individual whether or not they want to experience dissection or not. Some find it gross, while others will find it interesting. 

Not saying it will, especially once you actually start your career. With that being said, it is nice to experience nonetheless. I think its up to the individual whether or not they want to experience dissection or not. Some find it gross, while others will find it interesting.

I agree. It's interesting if you are into it but I don't think it should majorly factor into deciding on schools.

Archived