Premed 101 Forums

Do University Rankings Matter

Does the ranking, prestige or fame of a university matter. I'm specifically speaking on the Physiotherapy programs. Does it sound better to employees if you graduated from a PT program with a high ranking university attached to it like the University of Toronto. How about if you want to work internationally does it matter then?

That's a good question! I would imagine it would depend on the employer and the demand for the profession. If it is very competitive for PT jobs where you are applying then the school from which you graduated may be important. Ultimately, I think your work experience will outweigh which school you attended in the long run.

When picking a school, you should think about where you will be most happy and successful. For example, U of T is one of the best schools in Canada, but if Toronto is too fast paced for you then that might not be the best option.

I hope that helps!

Generally, not really in Canada. All programs are competitive and will require great grades, experience, etc to get in. I'm sure some employers will have their own personal bias toward specific schools but at an international level, all Canadian programs are regarded highly.

I think your choice of school matters when it comes down to where you'd like to work in the future. For example, UofT will have more options of practicums in the GTA than Queen's or Western will (they have more affiliated Toronto hospitals, clinics). Or if you wish to work in BC or AB, you're much better off if you are attending UBC or UofA as they have more options of practicums in their respective provinces. Where you get placements affect your experiences and contribute to your network and resume. 

Essentially, if you are fortunate enough to have acceptances from multiple schools, choose the school that is located in the city you'd like to work in eventually!

I think your choice of school matters when it comes down to where you'd like to work in the future. 

Essentially, if you are fortunate enough to have acceptances from multiple schools, choose the school that is located in the city you'd like to work in eventually!

I think OTea is on the right track here - not only for building connections, but also for provincial registration (you must be registered in the province you work, which takes time, effort, and money). Also, each province's health care is slightly different, and I assume that each university would educate based on it's own province's regulations and legislations (as well as Canada's). That being said, as long as you have passed your national exam and are in good standing, you should be able to transfer provinces no problem.

Archived