Premed 101 Forums

application stats / older applicants

Guest will

Is it possible to find out how many applicants there were

from a category, on a given year....

www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdpro...s_2004.PDF

The 2004 stats show 73 people out of 128 accepted with an educational background of science,

but what percentage of the applicants have science backgrounds?

5 people accepted are > 35 years old,

how can I find out the number of applicants in the > 35 group?

thx to anyone who can answer these questions.

-will

ps love this board! great source of info.

Guest gucio93

Hi Will!

Unfortunately I have not come across those stats anywhere, one way to find this info would be to call the admissions office and ask them. I'm not sure if they release, or even collect that kind of data, but it's worth a try. Probably not the kind of answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps :)

Thanks gucio....

I just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone has seen stats like this.

I was wondering since I am older than most of

the people accepted, and will be older still by the time

I have saved enough to take 3 years off work.

I was just wondering if my chances are better/worse/same as the younger applicants.

-will

Guest SteveChase

I dont think your age will be a barrier,

Your experiences will most likely distinguish you from the straight undergrads

BTW How old are you?

good luck to you

Hiya,

I am turning 30 this year. But it will probably take me about 8 years to save the money I will need to support my family while I am at school.

So, I will be on my way to 40 by the time I actually apply. A case of life planning gone awry I guess :)

Guest StevenChase

Hey there Will

Why not prepare yourself and apply now! Banks will provide you with excellent lines of credit to support your family while you are completing med school. The reason I say do it now is because your earning power will be much greater once you are finished med school. even during residency you will earn 40-48K per year. If you dont mind me asking, what field do you currently work(ie your major and your subsequent employment) in now and how many people do you have to support.

I say go for it, when its done you will never look back!!!!

StevenChase

Hi Steve,

I didn't really think of that. I will look into the bank idea.

I could probably get about 70k secured on the house, but that would still leave a pretty large sum for the bank to lend for living.

(luckily I live in Oakville, so I wont have moving or relocation expenses)

I am a systems analyst/intranet developer and I have 1 little girl and my wife.

Guest gucio93

Hey will!

You may want to seriously consider getting a loan and starting early if you are really interested. Just to give you a bit of background . . .

Once you're in med school, most banks are willing to give you 20,000/year with no collateral. In addition, students in need can receive up to around 13,000/year in bursaries here at Mac. Also, you can apply for OSAP, which if you're not familiar with it is a government loan people get for school.

In my current situation, I have started med school this year. I worked as a nurse prior to that and was earning a decent living. My husband is finishing his Ph.D. (so as you can imagine there's no income there). We also have an 8 year old son. I will have a large amount of debt by the time I finish, but also, very likely, the means to repay it while doing what I love. Talk to your wife and think about it! Lot's of people are doing it this way and it does work out! Good Luck.

Guest Steve Chase

I think the point that Gucio brought up is very important. Banks will give you a tremendous amount of money because there is a great deal of security in a Medical career, therefore the risk to them is very low. Plus it is in their best interest to gain clients who will once they are licenced buy houses, investments etc. I really dont think it will be an issue to come up with the money now. On a side note, have you already completed a Bsc Science or do you have a computers background? If you still have to complete the Science stuff to apply to other schools maybe that is something you should start.

Anyways Good Luck to you

computer background, Arts Degree in Psyc/Stats....no BSc

I am planning to take enough sciences to cover the MCAT tested areas, in case my McMaster plan falls through. This should cover the academic pre-reqs for most Ontario schools....

This discussion has been quite a lift for me. I was feeling a bit down over having to wait so long to even attempt to apply.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice about the bank options....

I worked at a bank for a year, and I have never heard of a specialized 'professional student' line of credit. But most large banks do have it.

I am totally up for debt to do this....

if I can borrow 200k for a house...it would be silly not to choose a large debt for a more satisfying lifetime career.

-will

Guest Kirsteen

Hi will,

You most definitely will be able to find some helpful bank managers out there. I took advantage of a special program offered by the Royal Bank for MBA students, when I went that route a few years back. Fabulous idea and don't regret any bit of it. I don't know the details of the latest packages out there, but often they'll offer you a line of credit (LOC) for a certain amount per year (negotiable), often at 0% interest until graduation, whereupon that rate changes to a variable prime plus one, etc.

Again, I don't know what they're offering nowadays, but I would bet my boots they'd be happy and willing to help you out if you come to them with that acceptance.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Steve Chase

Hey again

Just wondering where you did the MBA? I hear those programs these days are really expensive, any thoughts on doing an MBA? Its not for myself but actually for my sister. She completed a Bsc Bio but could not get into meds for the past three years. She is thinking about an MBA but most programs require quality work experience, unfortunately she has been unable to get that good experience with her background. She has also heard that there is very little job security for MBA's so she's really confused. Any thoughts would be appreciated as it is rare to find people from the Bio route who go for their MBA. Did you work after your Bsc and prior to your MBA? Also what kind of opportunities presented themselves after the MBA?

Thanks alot for your help and I'm really sorry again for all these questions, I'm the guy who slaughtered you with questions regarding the epidemiology program, which I think i will go for if I dont get in this year

thank you Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Steve,

Some MBA bits:

I did my degree at Queen's and yes, the programs can be very expensive (hence the need for the LOC). Personally, I feel the MBA is a great degree if you want to have a sound, general understanding of many different fields required to successfully run an organization (of any sort). Alternatively, it provides a great set of experiences which allow you to pry open many "black boxes", e.g., areas with which you may not have had prior experience such as accounting, marketing, finance while functioning within the business realm. In total, I'd say that the MBA is a relatively quick way of garnering a batch of experiences that help you make smarter decisions.

With respect to looking for a career based on MBAs, I'd say that it's more of a good door opener. If you want to get beyond just opening the door, then I think you need to generally accompany that MBA with something else, e.g., incredible contacts, work experience, exemplary talent, or a degree in another profession. By doing the latter, in particular, many sectors may find you unique and highly valuable.

Yep, it's true that many an MBA program does require a sack of work experience; however, I've known a few people who have managed to get in with a couple of years worth. For me, I've been in the workforce for yonks, as I worked full-time throughout my undergrad degree, so the accumulation of work experience was not a problem. Not that I recommend your sister take that sort of challenge on--it can be a bit brutal at times!

As to MBA and science, it seems that the MBA/Engineering route is popular (given the relatively recent demand for techies with business sense within high tech companies); also MBAs with some biological science background tend to do well in biotech companies, if that's of interest to your sister. Has she had a look at the Queen's MBA for Science and Technology? It's an excellent program, and only one year long, (when I last checked back!), and the jobs offered to the new grads often seem to be exemplary. Also, it is open exclusively to those with science-based degrees, e.g., MDs, DDS, BScs, etc. As to my post-MBA life, I remained with the company that I've been with all along.

Again, no probs re: the questions--happy to be of service, and hope it all helps.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Steve Chase

hey Kirsteen

I appreciate the advice, I'll pass it on to my sibling. I think she was actually looking at the Queens program but when she looked at the profiles of people on the website with 10+years of experience I think she really freaked out!!!!

BTW How did you work fulltime and go to school fulltime, That is amazing!! Did you start at your company when you were 19 and work all the way through everything until now. Man I feel really lazy right now when I complain about 3 midterms over two days. hats off to you that is crazy, I just have to know your secret, did you have to take all your classes at night?

Thanks again Kirsteen

Steve Chase

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there Steve,

The best thing your sister could do would be to contact the school and chat with them directly to find out the current work experience requirement. I don't think too many programs require 10+ years though so no worries.

On full-time work/school, I originally got into university when I was 17, way back when, and initially, at least, needed to work (albeit in a different location than now). At that time, most of the classes were during the day, crunched in, so that I could work the other days/evenings/weekends. My initial experience with the work/study concept was grotesque: hated the courses, and this was exacerbated by the absolute requirement to work. As such, shortly thereafter I shook my head, and went out into the workforce. A bunch of years later, with a bit of a different perspective I returned to finish my B.Sc. and MBA while working with my present company--loved it. Like night and day, I tell you, even while squishing the majority of my classes into the evenings. In any case, although I've been with my company for almost 8 years now, I'm really looking forward to the change of concentrating on school and leaving the high tech sector behind for a bit.

As to conjoining full-time work and school, let me put it this way: working full-time together with studying full-time is a very decent acid test for whether you like what you're cramming!

As to three midterms in two days, complain away--I've heard of three-headed gorgons that are prettier!!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Funck67

Hello Anyone,

I am intending to be an older applicant myself. I will be turning 35 yrs old in April and have been toying with the idea of doing Med at MacMaster for several years now. After getting my B.Sc. at Waterloo in '91, I worked for 11 years as a chemist, working my way up over time to the position of senior chemist. Just recently, I have moved into an IT-related sector where I interface computers with laboratory equipment, involving international travel. It is quite exciting, but I still feel Med school calling.

My question is: for those 5 people that were > 35 yrs of age, what were their marks like? Were they outstanding? Were they mediocre? Did Mac really consider marks at their age and just concentrate more on their experiences?

Personally, my marks were very low in first year; mostly because my parents were contemplating a divorce and life was just hell. I should have left home, or maybe postponed my B.Sc., but I stuck with it, partly because my friends were so encouraging. Those marks have hurt me badly when I look at my GPA. Is the rule of 3.00 or higher mandatory, even for mature people/students?

Also, does Mac want upgrade courses to prove yourself again (or something similar) when considering older applicants?

Funck67

Guest Carolyn

I would call the admissions office and ask about your personal situation. I have friends who are in their late twenties who didn't have the 3.0 (2.98!) and she was considered ineligible. However, it is definitely worth calling the office to see what they say!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Funck67,

Do you (or did you) work at JMS??? I was there last summer. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but if not, then it's a really small world!

Best of luck in the future!

Tim

Guest Funck67

Yep!

You got it, Tim!...one and the same. I left JMS last year and have a new job with a company in Guelph that interfaces lab equipment with computer networks world-wide. It's really quite fascinating...but, alas....not quite as fascinating as I feel Med would be. So, are you applying as well?

Good Luck with your applications then!

F67

PS - Have you heard from or seen Leigh lately?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey there, Funck67!

We were just talking about you today (LD and I) and it sounds like you've got a lot of things going your way! I think it's great that you've applied to meds and I think you will get in next year! I applied to all five schools, got interviews at UWO, Queen's and U of O (Mac reject) and no word from UT. Fingers crossed for the 3rd of June- D-Day for the vast majority of us!

Unfortunately I haven't heard from Leigh, but I can find out her address for you if you'd like. Let me know!

Anyhow, best of luck with your application for next year! This is a great forum for getting your questions answered and if you need my advice for any reason, don't hesitate to drop me an email!

Take care and good luck!

Tim

Guest mohsin

Hi,

I graduated from McGill about 2-1/2 years ago and am currently working in IT in the States. I am putting together my application for Med Programs everywhere but one of my hurdles are the dreaded Recommendation letters ! Since I have been out of school for so long, I am not sure if any of the Profs will remember me. Also at my current employer, no one knows of plans so asking my boss would jepordize my position at the company.

I would appreciate any help or information !!!

Cheers.

Guest gucio93

Do you have any trusted colleagues with whom you are working? It does not necessarily have to be your boss, someone who works closely with you and is a good friend can also give a great reference. Also, do you have any other friends that are "professionals," sometimes that may not be a bad idea. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any more creative vibes at the moment, but if I think of something, I'll let you know :b

Guest macmed04

Well, I'd been out working for 4 years at the time I applied to med school. I asked one of my colleagues at work (who'd sort of been my mentor over the years) to write one, one of the profs from university who I had a lot of contact with (and still remembered me 4y out - might have helped that there were only 40 in our class!), and the researcher who employed me in the summer after 2nd year (imaging research - surprised he remembered me too).

I thought I'd try and ask people from different parts of my lives: academic (for academic ability), work (for teamwork and interpersonal relationships), and a medical research (for interest in medicine and team skills). I've heard of people getting references from their piano teacher.

I hate asking for references, but this didn't seem so bad - I had to contact those guys anyhow as they were verifiers for my essays, so I just asked them if they thought they could write something enthusiastic on my behalf. I sent them my resume and copies of my essays so that they could have a read of those to determine my motivation etc. Seemed to do the trick!

That's my spin on how I picked my referees. Definitely didn't want three people who could only comment on the same sorts of things. And I certainly did what gucio93 suggested: picked someone from work who works closely with me. I would have asked my boss since she knew I was applying, but she was French and her English probably wouldn't have impressed anyone reading the letters :)

Good luck!

Archived