Premed 101 Forums

application for 2004

Guest bug

Hey folks!

I didn't get accepted at Mac this year. I have been thinking about how to make my application more appealing. I have done what I can to increase my GPA. However, the autobiographical submission, it is so difficult to know how to improve it, although I know it could be improved. This task is espcially difficult with no feedback at all.

I was just wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on how to improve my answers... I have a variety of interesting experiences and extra-curricular activities, I just don't think I articulated them properly...

How do I give them a good idea of the kind of person I am and why I'll be a good doctor due to my experiences.

I know that many of you are busy with interview prep, or waitlist agony, but if anyone has the chance, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I want to keep working and reworking these essays until they have to be submitted.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas,

Bug

Guest peachy

On SDN (http://www.studentdoctor.net) applicants often pair up to critique eachother's personal statements, or accepted applicants who found the board helpful offer to critique the statements of current applicants. Perhaps someone on this board who actually got an interview would be willing to critique your questions from last year and offer advice? I'd be more than happy to, 'cept that I didn't get an interview either so my comments would probably be useless. ;)

In any case, if you search back through older threads in this forum, you'll see some useful ones that give tips on the personal statement. Most are obvious things like "Make sure that you address the question completely." It may be worth going through each of your questions and asking yourself if you did this (and the other things mentioned on other threads) for each question.

Guest MACOMERE

Hi bug,

I am in a similar position. I applied this year but did not get an interview.

I attended a mock session this past week and got some feedback from people who did get interviews on how to

possibly alter my application.

Peachy: I am going to look into your advice on studentdoctor.net - I hope this pairing up service is still offered.

It would be great if we can have such a pairing up on this site! :rolleyes

MACOMERE

Guest Dannyboy

Macomere: thanks for the kind words.

To both Macomere and bug: if you could possibly wait until after the first week of May (that's when my personal madness sort of stops for a bit) then I can offer you some assistance. As I already mentioned to Macomere, it's tough cuz her autos were great--the changes I thought she could consider were relatively minor. The overall feel of them could maybe change but...they were great.

I suppose that even small changes count though when you are talking about 4000 applicants. If I am free of distractions and I am not having to write these stupid essays, I will be of much more use. So, if you can wait, leave me a message on my personal link.

Guest Dannyboy

for your 411 mr/ms newbee, I am NOT on any antidepressants (or any other meds and/or illicit drugs), I do NOT have any mental disorders, I do NOT drink, and my family/personal life has never been better.

Oh, perhaps we now all know why I am kinda sucking at this graduate school thing....I think you might be on to something newbee...

Guest tirisa

Hey bug and macomere,

I'm in the same boat as you and I was thinking exactly the same thing with respect to getting some Mac students to critique our essay questions. I had soooo many people -- including physicians, med students, and people who have sat on adcoms -- go over my questions, but unfortunately, few of them were from Mac, so I am assuming that what may have seemed like a great application for another school was only mediocre for Mac.

Macomere, I'm glad you got some feedback from the mocks last week. I wish I lived closer to TO, so that I could have joined you as well.

I also think it would be great if Dannyboy or others who have been granted interviews would offer to look over some of our applications. However, I certainly don't want to overload Dannyboy with the task. Perhaps after the interviews are over, there may be some others who also are willing to take a look at some essays... that way, the task will be shared.

At any rate, let me wish everyone who has interviews in the next two weeks the best of luck and hard work.

Cheers,

Tirisa

Dannyboy, you mentioned to leave you a message on your personal link after may... Unfortunately, I am not sure how to do that. I am new to this forum, so if someone could tell me how that would be great.

Thank you also to those of you who have commented on this topic. Keep the suggestions, advice, and willing helpers coming!!

I am going buggy, I am so desperate to go to Mac,

bug

Guest grandmellon

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is havin a good time with the bipolar weather conditions we are having. :o Hot, cold... i get excited... depressed... ;)

I'm about to propose something totally out of this world... as time flys by and we all get older... ok. enough with the philosophical stuff (did I mention I have dissociation identity disorder [multiple personality disorder]) Jus kiddin :smokin :hat :evil 0] |I :\ :D

How about we have a mac admission writing group?

Yikes.... i think i've reallly lost my mind :rollin

ps... nice car Vwdubbbbbbbber... i've been thinkin about changin my name to go with the car enthusiast theme.... how bout zooomzoomzoom.... (singing)

Guest MACOMERE

Firstly, I am so out of the loop I did not even know that

Vwdubber's code name had anything to do with a car - I thought it was linked to some style of music! :P (seriously)

Grandmellon, (if that is not the identity you are assuming today, I apologise immensely ) I am willing to work with you to plan/organise a system whereby we can help each other with the essay.

Guest VwDubber

I always giggle when I read your posts.

So what are you feeling now? Hot and Depressed, Cold and excited or incomplete dominance (of the former and latter) (hahaha .... damn genetics eh?) >: :x :P |I :hat 8o :):o;) :rollin :( :rolleyes :lol :| 0] :evil :\ :eek :D :b :smokin

I didn't know you were a car enthusiast .... I thought all medschool wannabees (except for me) were geeks, without personalities .. (no flames plz... it was a JOKE) People are so serious these days eh? I think mellon suits you just fine. Zoomzoomzoom is too predictable plus if I remember correctly (it was dark), your car wasn't a mazda. :P How about we go out for a zoomzooomzoom one day to catch the babes in this bipolar weather? hehahehahe :rollin :rollin :lol

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you and MacDreams :)

Cheers,

K~

gti.jpg

Guest VwDubber

>Firstly, I am so out of the loop I did not even know that

>Vwdubber's code name had anything to do with a car - I thought it was linked to some style of music! (seriously)

That's cute! I've never heard that one b 4 :)

gti.jpg

Guest Blackbird15

Hey,

I'm at work right and being completely unproductive. I have had absolutely NOTHING to do for the past few days. However, it's very important that I keep that a secret, otherwise they'll pile more work on me, and frankly, from a purely objective standpoint, being bored is far superior to being stressed.

I'm spending the days surfing the net and as a result, this website is getting a lot of love from me right now.... soooooo... what are everyone's summer plans?

blackbird bored

Guest Blackbird15

Actually, the whole point of that previous post was to tell VwDubber that I can only make it to the practice session on Thursday (the 3rd). I don't live in Toronto, but will be passing through on the 3rd and talk to whoever's interested about my interview experience.

blackbird

Guest MACOMERE

hey there,

Are they hiring where you work? ;)

What type of work do you do again?

Well I plan to chill this summer before I return to school.

What are your plans?

MACOMERE

Guest mumfirst

Hello all,

I would be willing to look at a few submissions and offer suggestions. This is my second year applying (was rejected pre-interview last year) and can really only go by what changes I made to my submission this year. Although my responses remained pretty much the same, I really changed the tone of my responses. Last year I kept it very professional (read as dry and impersonal) - this year I made it very conversational. It goes without saying that your responses should be free of speeling errors (:D ) and correctly gramatical (:D ).

Of course any suggestions will be purely that - there are no secret ingredients to the autobio and you have to be happy with your responses. Having said all that, I would be happy to take a look at a few submissions and hopefully will be able to offer some ideas. E-mail me at md2b1day@hotmail.com if you like.

Guest Blackbird15

I'm still working at that same internship that I was talking about on Thursday... My contract is until mid-April. As for this summer... Europe baby! I'm so very excited about all the free time I'll have!

Guest VwDubber

Hiya Blackbird,

Thursday April 3rd works for me. Let me know what time is best for you. Also, did you just have an interview at Queen's this past weekend (or was that Nams)? If so, how did it go?

Wow ... Europe. Must be nice!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just going to stay in Ontario and lay low. Boring I know :P

I am also soooo BORED at work right now, anyone want to chat on ICQ (13830880) ... It's almost 1pm now ...

Cheers,

gti.jpg

Guest grandmellon

Congrats, VWdubbber... Your second baby is nice but I never knew you had a first baby? What is it?;)

I'm gonna be fighting malaria and gastroenteritis as I travel to africa this summer on a medical outreach trip... it's going to be soooo awesome!!! Which reminds me, I should be promoting this for donations hehehe http://www.medoutreach.tk Visit that site for any information about the team... and if you have any more questions about what we are doing / what we need to take there please feel free to contact me : jeffsentra@yahoo.com

(We need tonnes of toothbrushes and other medical supplies... and we are also holding a raffle!! Woohoo... for people who frequent london)

When are you going to be in europe blackbird? I'm doing a stopover at the end of the summer if anyone wants to join me! :rollin

mumfirst,

Thank you for your offer of help with submissions.

I agree with what you said, that there is no magic formula... The more input the better I figure.

I had many people, friends, family, physicians... read over my submissions, and revised them over and over....

However, no one who reviewed my submissions was affiliated with Mac, or from Mac, or applied to Mac etc.

Anyway, in the next few weeks I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks so much!

bug

Archived