Premed 101 Forums

Dentistry Student Summers

What's a really good way for a dentistry student to spend the summer if you want to be maximally employable after graduation? What kinds of jobs can you expect to get as a dentistry student who has just been admitted? Or after 1st/2nd/3rd year? Iirc, after DDS3, I think dentistry students can write some kind of exam that qualifies them to be hygienists, but I might be mistaken.

If you're a current dentistry student and not in the military, how do you spend your summers?

I've heard about students at U of S being able to practice as an associate with a temporary license in their 3rd year summer. Some people just take the summer to relax, travel and shadow. Some do research but imo, its best to shadow and network in the area you plan to practice.

I've heard about students at U of S being able to practice as an associate with a temporary license in their 3rd year summer. Some people just take the summer to relax, travel and shadow. Some do research but imo, its best to shadow and network in the area you plan to practice.

^

Networking, maybe doing some research/working at the same time could help. 

I spent a summer doing externships and got to work in the summer clinic at my school between 3rd and 4th year. Other than that, travel, chill. You're only young once.

Do research one summer if you have an interest or want to specialize, but your other summers you can bugger off.

I spent a summer doing externships and got to work in the summer clinic at my school between 3rd and 4th year. Other than that, travel, chill. You're only young once.

Do research one summer if you have an interest or want to specialize, but your other summers you can bugger off.

How much do you think research will help your specialization application?

The summer between the third and the fourth year?

It'll be the last summer break for a long, long time...

the next time you take two month or more off during summer is probably 40 year years later when you are retiring...

once you start working, esp full time, it's difficult to take such a long time off. Difficult for your patients, difficult for your offices.

Unless you are taking a one year maternity leave...but then you get another issue to deal with.

so, enjoy it, but don't waste it.

Archived