Premed 101 Forums

Snotty, Red and Puffy

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Just wanted to let you guys know that I received my rejection letter in the mail at 12:50pm today. I am really disappointed as you may expect.

Sydney, my letter was postmarked April 29th and dated May 31st. Hoping you get better news than I did.

I'm gonna go regroup now and see what's next. Congrats to those of you who have been successful, and my most sincere best wishes to those of you in purgatory... :D

Later,

Melissa

P.S. Congrats Beaver! I knew you would do it!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Melissa,

Sorry about the shite news- I was really pulling hard for you! I think that you are a wonderful applicant and you will definitely become a doctor if that i what you want. I fully assume you are going to try again next year? Are you going to apply anywhere else? If there's anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to email me, even if it is to blow off steam! (click on my username) Keep your chin up because there are better days ahead! :)

Tim

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. Sure needed those today :D

I am really glad to see that you got a couple of acceptances. Any thoughts on where you will be come Aug.?

Not sure that I will reapply next round as my profile really hasn't changed that much since last Oct. Maybe need some time to gather experience etc...

Again, Congrats and thanks

Melissa

P.S. The swelling is going down....

Guest medwant2b

Sorry to hear the bad news… I get the feeling I'm going to be in the same boat and I wish I knew where I'm going to be in late August. Thinking about the 'where' question is giving me interview flashbacks. Both the medical student and community member asked me the 'what if' question. It was all a bit strange.

It is tough to see some of the regulars on this board not getting in. Also, I can't help thinking that failing after the interview is much harder... :(

Guest sydney

Melissa...I'm so sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for...I kept checking the posts in between my patients this afternnoon, hoping to hear that you were in. Don't give up...This was my 3rd time applying and the 1st time I actually got an interview (the only school I can apply to)...now you know entirely what to expect, and I suspect that this time next year if MAC is where you want to be, it will be yours!

Take care, you really never know what might happen...stranger things happened last year for instance...

Syd

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be in London at UWO in late August barring some chaos theory, we-found-something-wrong-with-your-app-that-has-disqualified-you-all-of-a-sudden scenario.

As for no changes to your profile, well, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. Maybe you caught your interview team at a bad time, scored poorly on something that may (or may not) have been trivial, or maybe there were just a ton of excellent candidates interviewed by that team that day and it was hard to stick out. From what I've gathered, a lot of it is subjective at the interview stage, and this time, your toss of the coin just happened to come up tails instead of heads.

Don't lose hope- just interviewing shows that you're competitive (moreso than those of us who got our walking papers back in March- namely yours truly), and if there's anything worth having in this world, it sure doesn't come without a fight!

So keep your head up, take some time off and get ready for the next round, cuz the craziness is only weeks away! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Hope this helps! Have you considered other schools?

Guest Beaver

Hi Melissa

ItsmeBeaver, Thanks alot for your kind words. I really appreciate you laughs and advice over the year, your the best!!!

I'm sorry you didn't gain acceptance this year. There's so many variables at work its not fair to look down upon your own accomplishments. You were and always will be an excellent candidate, so now the goal is to figure out how to show the powers that be.

One idea maybe to take some science courses and write the MCAT, it would open up a whole world of possibilities to you. With a little science under your belt coupled with your excellent background in social work, I think you will improve your chances exponentially!!

I have a friend who couldn't get into Mac because of a 2.92 GPA (somehow had the 3.60 in his last year which was the cutoff when he applied). He decided to take organic chem and write the MCAT. All the schools turned him down but he's at Western meds in second year now, who would have thought, that a sub 3.0 GPA could get someone accepted somewhere. So Melissa, the game ain't over yet, it just may need 1 year and a little strategy.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to finish up my OAC chem course tomorrow night (hope I pass since I have neglected to prepare adequately due to this whole messy weekend!) so Plan B is actually already in progress!

I have been thinking...remember when you said that you knew I would get in because you saw your shadow and there were 6 more weeks of winter? It suddenly dawned on me that there is one thing that really made that prediction phony. You my friend are a BEAVER and the one making the predictions is a GROUNDHOG! I am sure that Wiarton Willy does not appreciate your going around pretending to be the all knowing weather predictor !!!! :rollin :rollin :b

Anyway...at least I still have my sense of humour!

You rock and I know you will be a great doctor :D

Cheers,

Melissa

Guest Beaver

Oh yeah, us Beavers are gulity for trading on the Groundhogs duties. But its not fair, why does the groundhog get to steal the spotlight????

Anways Melissa if there's anything I can do, or any help that I can provide (except for weather predicition) for your next application, you just let me know. Now that I'll be on the inside, I'll probably be able to give you a juicy hand.

Good luck Melissa

Guest macmed04

Melissa,

I'm also sorry to hear that you didn't get the letter you were looking for - you certainly sound like the kind of person I'd like to have in my class. There is a huge luck factor in getting in.

Last year Mac cleared it's waiting list, and a couple people who got rejection letters got last minute invites to join our class. So there's still a faint chance that people will get in up till registration in the last week in August.

Good luck figuring out what to do next! I went and worked overseas as an engineer for 4 years after all my rejections, and had some choice as to where I wanted to go the second time I applied. I wouldn't change the way things turned out at all - I got to travel, met a great guy, earned some money, and got some great experience in the meantime. Hope things turn out as well for you...

Macmed04

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Melissa. I too would like to share my disappointment your news wasn't better.

I'd also like to point out that what Beaver said (I don't know the specific 2nd year he's talking about) is theoretically possible. For UWO you do only need two years above the magic cutoff (3.60 this year) though you do need the MCAT, and a few other prereqs as well. But some of those prereqs can be taken AFTER you've been accepted, meaning their marks aren't taken into account for your acceptance decision.

Check http://www.mni.uwo.ca/meds2005 for more details.

Good Luck and do apply again next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest artsyfartsy

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. All I can say is keep trying, don't give up, and if you do, I promise you that there are a lot of really interesting things that are rewarding out there. I know this sounds hollow but I genuinely mean every single word I am saying.

I applied to med school 3 times before this round, 4 times in total. The first time I applied was during my fourth year of a history, math and education degree; I wanted to apply to med school since my interest was sparked in health care from my summer jobs and volunteer experience. I am interested in medicine since I can combine working closely with people, an intellectually stimulating career with lots of opportunities to work in developing countries, working locally to the benefit of others, flexibility in type of work despite the long hours during clerkship and residency, and a stable salary. It is hard to combine all of these things in life and medicine is appealing for that reason. After undergrad, I volunteered at an orphanage, wrote for south asian youth paper, did my M.A. in history, tutoured high school dropouts who wanted to get an education, and just did the things I loved. Applying to med school is a gruelling and nasty process that I would not want to wish on anyone, no matter how much I disliked them. It is an emotional rollercoaster that seems to last for a whole year, every year you decide to apply. It is tough because you are trying to figure out ways of doing things that help others but do not mentally and financially burn you out in the long run which I have seen happen to many of my intelligent friends in education, law, development work, and social work.

Over the course of my fourth time applying, I applied to a bunch of jobs with the federal government and continued my volunteer activities. I landed a really neat job that interests me and fits the criteria I was looking for in medicine and has its own set of perks which medicine does not. I am now in the odd position where I just got an offer from Mac and I am trying to decide if medicine is for me now; just a year ago, I would not have thought about it. Right now, I am thinking really hard. To give you an indication of what else is out there, I know people who work in public health and epidemiology and do fascinating work professionally; they also pull down a decent salary that is not to be scoffed at. They have travelled to other countries, did amazing research that has affected policy decisions here in Canada, worked closely with marginalized communities here, and closely involved in an interesting and stimulating scientific career. From what I have seen in public health, I definitely want to pursue this further whether I was in med school or not.

I hope the 2 cents I have gives everyone else who is reading this part of the bulletin board something to chew the fat on. Whatever career and path life takes you on, run with it, know what is necessary for you to be happy and what you want to see improved out there and I think that whether you are in medicine or not, you will find yourself personally and professionally rewarded. And if, by chance, i decline my offer from Mac, You might find yourself getting a phone call from them!!

p.s. here are the other details of meself:

-3.58/9 GPA from undergrad (I got a C in a half course in math during my 4th year which looked bad and destroyed my GPA)

-M.A. in history

-26 yrs. old this fall

-applied 4 times, got in to mac this year, got interview at mac last year but was rejected

-9's and 10s on mcat, never took orgo, got flat out rejection from every other school i applied to (mac is my 1st choice anyways but U of T would be nice since friends and family are in Toronto)

-intense desire to be socially and politically active, campaign against the tories and mel lastman and be involved in the political downfall of the Ontario PCs

Archived