Premed 101 Forums

Another Chances Question

Hi all,

I applied to a couple of Canadian (Ontario) schools for 2017 entry, rejected from all (Western, Ottawa, Queens, McMaster). I'm interested in applying again this year to some USMD, though most likely focusing on USDO because I think I'm more competitive for that.

Academic (all my GPAs are calculated based on the AMCAS conversion scales, not the quality points because I'm not sure how to incorporate semester hours)

- first year done at Universty of Western Ontario for the Bachelor of Medical Sciences program. I'm not sure how AMCAS converts UWO grades, but if it's based on the common knowledge (80+ = 4.0, 70-79 = 3.0 etc) then FIRST YEAR GPA: 3.2

- entrance scholarship

- H.B.Sc. double major in Bio for health sciences + Psychology at University of Toronto Mississauga

- 2nd yr AMCAS GPA: 3.74 (honour's list)

- 3rd yr AMCAS GPA: 3.94 (honour's list)

+ 2 summer courses with GPA: 3.85

- 4th yr AMCAS GPA: 3.88 (honour's list)

- overall GPA: 3.704

MCAT

- C/P: 128

- CARS: 127

- B/Bc: 129

- P/S: 130

- total: 514

Extra-curricular

- currently employed as a medical receptionist at a family doctors' practice (3 docs)

- 2.5 years (administrative and clerical mostly, lots of customer service and Pt. interaction, also sometimes help male docs with PAPs and breast exams)

- trying to apply for a second job in a similar role.

- previously employed as:

- sales associate (retail) for 2 years

- 1 month contract as cashier/customer service rep

- 1 month summer school program at a middle school as educational assistant

- current volunteering

- student and university volunteer at a hospital for 5 years various departments (oncology, physiotherapy, long-term care units, etc), currently in a leadership type position as part of a team responsible for managing high school student volunteers

- starting to volunteer more seriously at a distress helpline

- helping out in a psychology lab for over 2 yrs, currently helping with a PhD student's project, previously worked with him on his Masters thesis, and before that I helped an Undergrad on her honours thesis (no publications, conferences, or presentations, but co-authorship for publication may be possible in the future)

- previous volunteering

- on-campus medical first response team for 2 years as a Medical First Responder (currently still an active, non-regular member in order to provide additional help when needed, certified as AMFR level 1 with HCP level CPR + AED), was also part of the executive team for 1 year in the staffing division (recruitment, orientation, and initiation of new members)

- library volunteer for 1 yr organising and selling donated books

- YMCA front desk volunteer for 1 yr basic administrative and customer service stuff

- seniors home during high school for 3 yrs helping run workshops and activities, helping with feeding, playing games and generally interacting.

- high school club for 2 yrs, 1 year as executive.

I haven't selected schools for USMD yet because I'm not even sure if I'm competitive enough to bother applying. I was going to focus a little more on USDO, and I'm really hoping for Michigan State's DO program since they have a commitment to accepting 20ish Canadian applicants each year.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Not sure why you think your 3.70 and 514 are not competitive for USMD. You certainly have a chance especially if you apply early!

Archived