Premed 101 Forums

Financing for Mac Med Students

Guest Ceds

Hey guys, a question for the moderators and other current mac med students:

Since you don't get summers off at Mac have you noticed any additional difficulties with finances compared with other schools? We were told about a pretty extensive bursary system. Just interested in knowing how you guys are dealing with the evil issue of $$$.

Thanks,

Ceds

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't think it should be an issue. Even at the other schools, you don't get much time off in the summer - roughly ten weeks. Kind of hard to make a lot of coin in that time. I don't think there's many people who make significant amounts of money they can put towards tuition - in fact, many of my classmates decided not to work at all during the summer.

Guest medicator007

UWOMED2005,

I suppose its a little early to be considering next summer, but what is it that most people do during their first "summer" off of medical school?

-Work

-Research, supposedly beneficial for residency, but its so early!

-Volunteer work, as if we need any more!

-Travel

As always ur insight and wisdom is appreciated, and now back into the wide world of protein folding diseases!

Medicator

Guest gucio93

Hi Ceds!

The bursary system at Mac is indeed extensive. Most students get "some" money. Some get up to $10-12,000. There's also OSAP, and as you have said, personal lines of credit. The interest payments on the personal lines of credit can be set up so they come off the line of credit itself. Also, if you use that as your checking account, any deposit you make during a particular month (from whatever source) will count towards your interest payment for that month.

Archived