Premed 101 Forums

Master's Degree

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding admissions to Dentistry in Canada.  I have been applying for a number of years in dentistry and I want to plan for my next year in case I am not accepted to a program this year (I am already accepted in a Physiotherapy Master's).  

How does a Master's degree affect the calculation of GPA/admissions scores, chances to get an interviews, etc?

I know in Québec for Université Laval it doesn't count at all.  At Université de Montréal, it gives +1 on the CRU.  But what about other universities such as Dalhousie, UofAlberta, UofT, etc...?

Thank you for your time and help!

Marc

Hey Marc! I can only speak for U of T, Western, and McGill.

U of T: There is a bonus applied to your composite score with a Master's degree. It is unknown how much the bonus is.

Western: There is a bonus for Master's degrees. Also, they value their Autobiographical Sketch (of which one component includes research) and the Personal Essays with some emphasis. I would believe doing a Master's degree may also help strengthen your Sketch and provide more perspective for your Personal Essays. 

McGill: 10% of your overall score pre-interview is based on "academic context" which includes post-Bachelor's degree education. Therefore a Master's degree would be beneficial in this case. However, once again it is unknown how beneficial a Master's would be.

Hope this helps - PM me if you have additional questions about the application process! Good luck!

Edit: Good catch Waves! Schulich says "Applicants who have completed graduate studies are given bonus points."

I am also debating starting a Master's program this coming fall which is 1-year course based and the application due end of this month. But I am very hesitant about it not being as crucial as other parts of the application required. No research experience in the masters. 

I finished my undergrad degree and have ~89% average. I am going to re-write the DAT this fall in case the PAT section is a high cut-off for Western (I am not very competitive at U of T due to my gpa). I have just started with research experience but otherwise I believe my EC's are decent for my ABS. 

I am aiming at applying to Schulich this year so the Masters degree will not count in the application. Plus I worry that it interrupts me in my re-write and potentially interview prep and even excelling in further research. 

Do you think it is still worth it? I am having second thoughts - would like some insight. 

I am also debating starting a Master's program this coming fall which is 1-year based and the application due end of this month. But I am very hesitant about it not being as crucial as other parts of the application required.

I finished my undergrad degree and have ~89% average. I am going to re-write the DAT this fall in case the PAT section is a high cut-off for Western (I am not very competitive at U of T due to my gpa).

I have just started with research experience but otherwise I believe my EC's are decent for my ABS. 

I am aiming at applying this year so the Masters degree will not count this year in the application. Plus I fear that it interrupts me in my re-write and potentially interview prep and even excelling in further research. 

This masters would be course-based and no research experience. 20 grand for a title designation. 

Do you think it is still worth it? I am having second thoughts - would like some insight. 

If you're starting a Master's program this fall, and anticipate graduating in Summer 2018, then you will gain status as a "Masters" applicant in this cycle.

With that in mind, take a look at the posts on the UofT discussions to see the range of GPAs that have been interviewed/offered admission.  Doesn't hurt applying to UofT if you fall close to that range, especially if you do a Master's!

If you're starting a Master's program this fall, and anticipate graduating in Summer 2018, then you will gain status as a "Masters" applicant in this cycle.

With that in mind, take a look at the posts on the UofT discussions to see the range of GPAs that have been interviewed/offered admission.  Doesn't hurt applying to UofT if you fall close to that range, especially if you do a Master's!

Unfortunately, its 12 months so I would be graduating past the June 30 cut-off. 

I will definitely look at U of T post. I was just trying to learn about its effect at Western because it seems kind of vague. 

Archived