Premed 101 Forums

Ib Credits - Uofa

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether IB grades we received in high school count towards the minimum "of *60 of transferable postsecondary work (10 full year course equivalents or 20 half year course equivalents)." For example, I got a 6 in English HL, which satisfies UofA's English prerequisite according to the dentistry web page. Also, according to UofA's general section on the IB, this corresponds to 6.0 credits in English courses. 

I'm currently going into second year, and am considering taking a slightly reduced course load (not 30 credits), but still want to apply to dent this upcoming cycle. I already completed 30 credits in my first year. Does anyone have any experience with using IB credits to satisfy the 60 credits requirement - or must all credits obtained be obtained in strictly in post secondary courses? For example, am I allowed to take only 24 credits in University this year, use the 6.0 English credits from IB, and still be eligible to apply to UofA that way? I don't go to UofA, but I accepted the transfer credits for English at my current university, if that makes any difference.

Thanks. 

IB credits count towards the courses you need, but not towards the credits you need. I also got a 6 in HL English and so I never needed to take English, and dentistry accepted that as my English courses BUT I still had to take enough university courses to fulfill the 60*. 

I hope that clears it up

For any future reference, I emailed UofA's registrar and UBC about this, and from UofA they said "If the IB coursework you completed is accepted by us for transfer credit and you have attained a grade of either 6 or 7 in that coursework, then we could consider it to be part of the required 60 units of coursework required for the Dentistry program.  However, please note that this assessment is based on the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry's current practices; this could change in the future."

UBC's admission was much more direct, and stated "An applicant who has received or has taken higher level IB and received 5 or higher in IB English  or 6 or higher for IB Chemistry and/or Biology, would have met the English, Biology or Chemistry pre-requisite, and count towards your 90 credits.   If you have taken higher level IB courses, 5 or higher (in other subjects), we could consider the credit amount towards your 90 credits.

If you are applying to the DMD program, you will have to meet all requirements as listed on our website.   The 90 credits can be a combination of IB and post-secondary education – but it is your responsibility as the applicant, to make sure you have the necessary requirements as listed on our website."

If I were to guess, I'd believe that UofA's 60 credits can also be a combination, as to be considered as having completed the prerequisite the credit would have to be present. However, I am still most likely going to be taking another 30 credits this upcoming year, in order to not take any risks with UofA, but also to ensure that I'd have enough credits to apply for UBC in third year if I don't get in in 2nd year for UofA. 

Archived