Premed 101 Forums

Hi Guys,

So I am graduating with my kin degree this semester and like a few months ago I was perfectly fine going about my life as a kinesiologist. But I want to pursue MPT/PhD. Here's the kicker my grades suck --> cumGPA = 2.99 and I believe sub GPA around 3.0. I wasn't interested in my degree for multiple reasons but I worked throughout and have a really kickass CV. I even have a few professors in multiple PT schools interested in taking me on as PhD student after I get admitted into MPT. But I am really unsure how to improve my subGPA. I know for the pre req GPA, I can simply take the classes online. BUT all schools will still look at my subGPA from my degree. I know post bacc diploma is out of the way???

Please give me advice .....

Potentially take a couple years and work? And find a way to remotivate yourself academically (I'm assuming if you're recently graduated you're probably burned out on school and need a break). And then there's a good chance you'll need to take a bunch of courses (online if you want!) and raise your subgpa. I don't know if anyone who's gotten into PT with a sub gpa of 3. There are lots of "easy" courses you can take online and as long as you do the work on time you'll basically be guaranteed an A. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're in that new grab realm of 21-22 yrs you have time. Even if it doesn't feel that way right now.

You will definitely need to go back to bring up your GPA. Having a good CV is great but this field is very competitive, and it's not enough. I don't think schools really look at your grades for the prereqs, they just want to see you have them. But with a sub/cum around 3.0, you're basically gonna have to take 20 more courses and get over 80 in all of them to have a chance (since they look at your last 20 classes). I don't want to deter you but you should think about how serious you are about this. Especially if you're thinking about doing a PhD, maybe you should look at research masters programs since they're not so competitive.

Archived