Premed 101 Forums

mac gpa

Guest kelly

• 1 month later...
Guest prodster

Hi,

I have a low gpa (3.2) with a ChemE degree. I was wondering how I can write my Bio so that other parts of the application process leans to my favor. Does any one know how much community service is worth ( I will be volunteering as an EMT soon). How much is a field other than pure science is worth? What kind of student does MAC tend to lean towarards? Since I have been out of my field for a while research is kind of difficult to work on. Is there anything other than research and volunteer work that can make me a better candidate? I am getting kinda desperate. I have been looking at the stats... MAC has only a 4% acceptance rate. Can some one share how they beat the odds with my kind of situation? Looking forward to hearing from any of you :)

Guest TimmyMax

Hey there,

I'll share with you what I know, which may not be much, regarding Mac's admissions policies. While the cumulative GPA thing can be a total burden, we have to remember that the autobiographical submission (questionnaire) is worth the same (50%) as our marks. So although your GPA might be a little lower than you'd like it to be (true in my case as well!), I wouldn't count yourself out just yet!

In terms of what everything is "worth", I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think the school really gives any special weighting to those who did ChemE versus those who did Biology versus those who did Psychology, etc. I think Mac looks for people with life experience, so in your questionnaire you should really be tying in how your life experience has made you a better person/ prepared you for medicine.

As for the 4% acceptance rate, well, competition's tough, but don't let that deter you in any way, shape or form- we're all against the odds if you look at it that way.

Anyway, that's all I can offer. There's no magic formula for getting into med school- none that I know of anyway, so just worry about presenting yourself, your qualities and abilities in the best light you can. That to me is the best way to maximize one's odds of acceptance!

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest gucio93

TimmyMax has the right idea. I would also suggest trying to structure your autobio submission in such a way that it displays your life experiences (whatever they may be - related or unrelated to the medical field) in an interesting and "eye catching way" Look at the questions you have to answer a long time before the application is actually due. Sit down and brainstorm, put down some ideas for each of the questions. Put these aside for a few days so that you can look at them with a fresh perspective. Pick them up again and work on the stylistic presentation; enhancing your ideas at the same time. Put it aside again for a few days. Go through the above process again now paing more attention to the space restrictions (I think you're allowed 700 or so characteres per question - and that included spaces). Once you're satisfied with your work, show it to some trusted friends (profs, co-workers, parents, coleagues from other professions); people you know well enough to know that they will feel comfortable honestly critiquing your work and at the same time have enough life experience themselves to take a well-rounded look. Then make any revisions you deem necessary, send it off, and wait . . .That's my approach, maybe it will work for you, or maybe you'll find something else that suits your style :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Alana

hello everyone,

i was told a while ago that a gpa of 3.2 is equivalent to an 80% average. and I did a search on the web today and found that an 80% average is equivalent to a gpa of 3.67.

sorry for being so naive but can someone please clarify for me? does it depends on different schools? or is it universally understood that a 3.xx is an 80% and a 2.xx is a 70%? what if there's schools that are more competitive than others regarding their marking schemes?thanks alot guys.

Guest eye hope its my turn

Hi there Alana

From what I know, an 80% is approx. 3.7 on a 4.0 scale and is equivalent to an A-.

I'm not sure what other universities do, but McGill posts their grading policies in their student handbook (the one that lists the school's policies and gives a description of the classes offered in each program).

On the omsas website ( http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas ) you can find, at the 4th bullet, a link to the omsas undergraduate grading system conversion table in PDF form.

Hope this answers your question :)

Guest marba78

I don't think it's very wise to try to set general guidelines for converting overall percentages to a gpa. It works perfectly well when doing individual classes, but an overall 80% average can vary in gpa by a significant margin.

Follow this example: For simplicity sakes, I'm going to use two courses. Scenario 1)In one course you got 100% (gpa=4.0) and the other you received 60% (gpa=1.7), your overall average would be 80% and your gpa would be 2.85. Scenario 2) If you received two averages of 80% (gpa=3.7), of course your overall would be 80%, but your gpa would be 3.7! That is a difference of 0.85 points on the gpa system or a variance of 21%!!! (0.85/4.0)

So, be aware of the dangers in converting your average. It is definitely not accurate to just convert your overall! A 3.7 makes you eligible for almost any school in Ontario but a 2.85 eliminates you from all the schools........Just food for thought!

Guest guest

I can only attest to that. My overall university average is 91.5%, yet my converted GPA is only 3.81 because of a few 70's in non-science courses.

Archived