Premed 101 Forums

Deferring Question

Guest Lawgirl79

Guest Lawgirl79

Hello,

I am thinking of applying to Mac this coming fall, but would want to defer one year should I be accepted--I am in the middle of a law degree, and would want to complete it. Does anyone know if Mac lets you defer, and, if so, are they very strict about it? As well, if it is obvious in my application I would want to defer, will this destroy my chances at receiving an interview?

Thanks!!

Guest applicant

Hi Lawgirl79,

I am finishing up a PhD, and am not sure of the defence date. So, upon inquiry, I was told that Mac prefers their applicants to finish their previous degree, and they do grant deferrals for that. Yet, you must be accepted on their first-offer day (I think May something), and must reply "yes" WITH a deferral request. I am confident cuz I confirmed with e-mail and a phone call.

Yet, it won't hurt to spill your scenario to them and ask.

I am not sure about how they will take an applicant who is expecting to defer if accepted. In my case, I will defer if my degree isn't finished in the expected time.

Guest Masters

Hey guys!

I have had a very positive experience with Mac whereby they allowed me to defer my acceptance for 2 years so that I could pursue a 2 year course based masters degree. I had to set out specific learning objectives prior to my masters, and just had an interview with administration to review these objectives and see if I have met them upon completion of my masters. They are looking to see whether my masters had made me better for the study of medicine specifically at Mac. That is, did I develop any skills or particular knowledge that would make me better i.e. did I meet my learning objectives. They were very accomodating with me....I was accepted on the first wave, however, am not sure whether this was coincidence or not.

Guest MDWannabe

Your question raises another issue that pertains to your situation. You should be aware that McMaster treats each year of law school as an undergraduate year, and will convert your law school grades to the 4.0 scale. You may have a great GPA going into law school, but be aware that if you are one of the many former 'A' students who winds up with 3 years' worth of 'B' average (which generally puts you in the top half of your class), you may seriously affect your chances of even getting to the interview stage. This forum has indicated that your GPA is one-half of the consideration towards obtaining the interview, although I understand there is an exception made for about 20 interviewees brought in on the basis of a spectacular application alone.

Best of luck.

Guest onionsneakers

what about this scenario: i'm in my 2nd year of a masters and will probably be able to defend my thesis in august. however, if i'm accepted to meds, i'd really like to take a year off and would hope to use my masters as an excuse. if the admin at mac find out that i can definitely finish my masters by, say, september or october, are they likely to reject my request for deferral?

Guest Masters

most likely....you really have to persuade them to let you defer. They won't let you defer just to take a year off. You also have to arrange for a deferral either before starting your masters or after acceptance. They will chat with your Masters supervisor as well, so s/he will indicate whether you will be able to finish by sept or not. Hope this is helpful.

Guest marba78

The comments posted thus far pertain to deferral request based on academic reasons. Has anyone heard of people applying for and/or receiving a deferral for other purposes? For example, if I didn't have enough money to attend next year and had a job that would allow me to save enough over the next year to attend the following year, do you think they would consider this as a valid reason to grant a deferral?

Any insight is much appreciated!

to onionsneakers:

You could always set up your defense date in September or October. That way you still have almost an entire year off, if you're allowed to defer, but your Master's won't be completed in time to commence studies this year.

Guest medwant2b

marba78:

The med student giving my group of interviewees the post-interview tour said some of her colleagues have HUGE lines of credit and--implied that banks give med students what they need to get thru. Also, she mentioned that there are some bursaries at McMaster. That said... I see no reason to delay doing what you love and really want to do.

Cheers, medwant2b :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest marba78

Can someone tell me the timeline for the deferral process. I was just wondering how long after you submit your request they respond with an answer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Guest gucio93

This is from the Mac website:

"Deferred registration may be granted only under exceptional circumstances. Deferred registration may be requested only by those candidates offered a place in the class on the last working day in May and by those who have accepted that offer. The request for deferral must be submitted within two weeks of the offer of admission."

Archived