Premed 101 Forums

Are the letters sent out yet?

Guest Angela

Guest Angela

From reading boards from other schools, I discovered that u of t hasn't send out their letters yet. I'm just wondering if Mac has sent out theirs yet.

Wouldn't it be nice if Mac uses the email acceptance system like Ottawa?

Cheers,

Angela

Guest ItsmeMelissa

I called and they said that "They were sent out for today's mail." I said "By regular mail or express?" They said "Regular mail." I said "So we should have them early next week?" They said "Hopefully."

Still skulking around my front door for the Postal Worker. I live in Hamilton so I can't help but hope for a miracle.

Melissa

Guest Angela

Melissa,

What time did you call the office today?

I bumped into a mailman as I was walking to the gym this morning. I asked about the time course of a letter from Hamilton to Toronto. He told me that if the letter was sent out at 9 a.m., it should be on its way to Toronto by 11 a.m. (the time at which they do a "clear out"). So he concluded that the letter will arrive in Toronto by late afternoon or early evening. Even if it's regular mail, we should get it on Monday.

HOw does that relate to your location?

Well, if they do the "clear out" thing at 11:00 a.m. There probably is a slight chance of you getting it this afternoon. Then again, it's Friday. You know how people tend to leave work early on these days.

Good luck!

Angela

Guest Very Sad

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to post and let you know that I live in Toronto and received my rejection letter from Mac today at 3:00 pm. Quick mail-too bad not positive news. Mac was my only shot for this year, and I am very disappointed as to the outcome, but such is life. I gotta start doing some planning now. Good luck to everyone, especially those from April 7th interview! The ride's over for now.

peace.

Guest dubliner

anyone else in toronto get the mail??

where did you live, very sad (though you may not check this board anymore...)

dc

Guest marmotYVR

I'm dyin'......

My letter goes to Hamilton.....

I'm in BC.......

NO ONE IS AT MY HAMILTON ADDRESS TODAY!!!!!!! My ex-roomie is gone for the w'end, due back Monday.

Knowing that it may be sitting there all w'end, unopened, is even worse somehow - even tho I'll get the info on the same day!!!!

Guest anon

I too live in Toronto. My mail comes in the morning so there was no word today. I figured I would have to wait until Tuesday but it looks like it could be Monday.

Sorry about your news Very Sad. The ride might be over for now but there is always next year - don't give up!

Guest dubliner

man, very sad - sorry that was a selfish last post of mine...FIRST - sorry to hear about your bad news. Definitely apply again next year!

That's what should have come before my whining about the mail!

cheers

dc

Guest marmotYVR

Very Sad-

also sorry to hear your news. I am in the same boat with Mac as my only chance.

Became momentarily totally self-absorbed & selfish for a sec there.

Apply again next year for sure - since you got an interview this year, you for sure have a good shot at next yr also!

Guest Very Sad

Hey Guys!

thanks for your console, and don't worry about seeming selfish. I was anxiously anticipating the news like the rest of you, and totally understand the eagerness. I live in Richmond Hill for those who asked. I was also a Masters graduate. On the letter it stated that they are offering 128 places which was contrary to the 138 that I had initially read on a post. They did not mention anything about waiting list sizes. Take care all....

Guest ItsmeMelissa

What can I say Very Sad? Please accept my best wishes and congratulations on getting as far as you did. I think we are all feeling for you.

I live in Hamilton. My mail is usually here by now. I have been watching the street like a hawk and haven't seen the postie since 1:20. Like a freak I called Canada post to see if the Hamilton mail was processed in Hamilton or in Toronto. It is processed in Hamilton. She told me that they technically have until 5:30.....

LET THIS BE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa.

Guest marmotYVR

:rollin :rollin :rollin

ItsmeMelissa - you crack me up! You called Canada Post??!!! That's hilarious! (I think the stress, and the 10 cups of coffee are getting to me!)

I'm just as bad - I've been trying to call a friend, who has a key to my mailing address, to see if he will drive to Hamilton (he lives in Toronto) to check for mail. Except he's not answering his phone. And he doesn't even know I applied (I kept it low key to minimize the number of people I would have to tell if I get rejected...). A (very funny) book could likely be written about the antics all of us Type-A's get up to while waiting....

thanks for the good laugh - off to work now - thank goodness I'll have the distraction!

Guest Very Sad

I just have one more thing to add to my previous posts. I called Mac, and they mentioned that they do not have an appeal process. As well, they are offering 129 positions and have 89 people on the waiting list.

Guest stargirl

calling canada post - very clever - i never would have thought of that. last year, i called ottawa u. and tried to convince them that i would be on vacation for the next two weeks, hoping they'd take pity on me and reveal my status - no dice! vicious i tell you - don't they know what all this waiting does to us?

Guest ItsmeMelissa

I just now realized what a loser I am, and I am laughing too!!!!!!!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Come on 5:30 so I can forget about this until I assume the position on the porch monday morning.

Melissa

Guest macmed04

I know of a couple people in my class who were called up late in the summer and offered a spot AFTER they'd gotten rejection letters.

I don't want to give anyone false hope, but stranger things have happened...

I'm sure glad I don't have to go through this again - I've been having "this time last year" thoughts since January. Good luck to you all!

the rejection letters were sent out May 29th as post stamped, and that's why they arrived today. The letter was post dated may 31st. That may be why all you who will be getting acceptances have not yet gotten them. Hopefully I will hear the cheers of those accepted from all across Ontario here in my humble Richmond Hill abode.

Hi Mellisa..you are so smart to contact them..by the way tell me thier responed to find out my hunch as "psychic! "..All the best to all of you

Guest ItsmeMelissa

I am finding it strange that there is only 1 person who has heard his/her fate! All you lurkers out there HEY LET US KNOW!!! I could use some good or bad news and I am sure that Very Sad could use a little moral support it it is true about the "thinvelopes" being sent early......

q- I suspect I am not smart for contacting the Post Office. I am merely MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa

Guest bear

Hello ItsmeMelissa and others,

After weeks of lurking, I thought I'd put in a post. I also got a rejection letter post-dated May 29th today, so whoever hasn't heard, it's probably good news for u! Best of luck.

By the way, I thought that Mac sends out percentiles (e.g. for interview, GPA etc) for those who are rejected. It was my first time applying this year but for those who applied in previous years, is this true? Do u think it was too much of a hassle to do it this year? Or maybe they stopped because people were comparing and complaining too much? I'd personally really like to know.. Maybe I could find out if my references didn't like me as much as I thought they did. ;)

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Glad you came out of the darkness to share with us Bear. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the letter that you were looking for today. Strange that they didn't give you a percentile... if I recall correctly, those who were not offered interviews were given their statistics.

I'll try and remember this if I don't get in to mac this year... So few spots, so many people. I am sure that those who were not offered admission this year were as qualified as the next applicant. Just because there wasn't enough room for everyone, doesn't mean that there was necessarily something wrong with your application (ie. references).

I met sooo many wonderful, accomplished, intelligent people, on my interview day that I surely would not have wanted to be the one making the decisions!

All the best,

Melissa

Guest Red Fox

The scramble in Ontario sounds crazy on this board! Even though I dared Red Pear not to check the board, here I am too. I just got in from an early show, Al Pachino's latest: Insomnia. Somewhat ironic given the state of sleeping these days for many of us. Not a bad flick, for a Hollywood distraction.

Ouch for those with No letters. Sorry to hear it. Its raw news. Take care as you regroup.

Since this place has nearly turned into a confessional, let me add that I too, accosted the postal carrier at 9 am today and inquired about the regular delivery schedule on my street early next week. I am normally in my downtown office through the day. I am wondering if I will be able to wait the full workday or scoot home to see. If its good news then I'll be toast - unable to get back to work. If its bad, burnt toast. Knowing a pal in town who might have retrieved a letter first is also weird. I can't think of ever going through something like this before. I want badly for us both to get in. I wonder what it was like before the Internet?

Since I have just come in from a good cop/ bad cop movie, who here is willing to cop to feeling like they were glad it wasn't them who got the No letter as a first response to this news on the Board?

Honestly, I was mixed. Mainly glad I have a couple more days of not being changed by the news. This not knowing is a strange blend of anticipation, almost like the thrill of a good suspense yarn, except its my own future. The gig will be different in large measure for me which ever way it falls out. Something about having these last hours reminds me of slowly digesting the last 50 pages toward the end of a novel you aren't ready to finish because you don't want to loose the characters you've come to enjoy so much. Oddly, this period of waiting has defined the last year of my life. I have been devoting my time gearing up and completely changing directions (home, livelihood, love life), with significant sacrifices in all areas and a promise of my commitment to lose more in order to gain in the long run. It means a lot will shift in my world. I won't pretend to get how it matters to others reading the board but know that it does. In the coming week, may we all connect with our best intentions for ourselves and each other, even if we've been selfish in our thoughts and deeds. And if we can't seem to relax, so be it. If we weren't in this for real we wouldn't be here. There will be time for coming back to our best selves soon enough.

A wise woman I know gave me a great quote to think of for the interview. My Mom reminded me to be myself and most of all:

"To enter the fight with all your strength, and to keep your heart at the foot of the Lotus."

Good Night from

Red Fox

Guest Angela

If it makes you feel better, Melissa, let me just remind you about the story I posted earlier. I just grabbed the first mailman I saw on the street, and started questioning him about how long it would take for a letter to arrive at Toronto from Hamilton.

The story continues....

This evening, while I was on my break at work, I saw a Canada post truck outside (I work at Yorkdale Mall). I was totally taken back by the fact that there are still posties working at 7 pm on a Friday. Then I thought that maybe the postie in our area would come around later too. Snuck a call at work to find out if anything came in the mail. After about 5 minutes of waiting on the phone, my niece came back to report that I had TWO letters waiting. I was so excited when I heard that. Just when I was about to inquire more, she continued, "Ummm....they're both from ROYAL BANK." #x@$*!!!!

Anyway.....

Just trying to lighten up the spirit in this forum!

Cheers,

Angela :)

Guest NOT THIS TIME

Hello,

I also thought I'd let people know I live in Toronto, andI received my MAC rejection letter in yesterday's mail (Friday). The didn't give me any indication about percentiles or anything like that, just the rejection.... which is unfortunate, as it was my only chance this year. Does anyone know if they automatically put you on the wait list, or do they tell you in your rejection letter?

Any help would be appreciated, and good luck to everyone else.. hopefully you're luck will be better than mine was.

Guest Carolyn

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. I hope you'll apply again next year. Many of my classmates applied numerous times before getting in.

Unless things are different this year, people who are on the waitlist are told and they are given their ranking. Last year with 20 extra seats added, I believe they ended up offering people spots in late summer who had originally received rejections.

I believe the letter with percentiles goes to those who receive rejections and those who don't end up getting in off the waitlist in a couple of months after the class is finalized.

Archived