Premed 101 Forums

Anyone from BC

Guest Sumi23

Guest kewpee

Hey Sumi23!

I got a brown envelope from Mac today! The letter was dated May 31 and postmarked May 29. Have you heard yet?

I hope things work out for you. Good luck!

Guest Gortex

Just curious what else that you did to allow you gain acceptance?

3.21 seems really low and your MCAT scores would have obviously disqualified you from all of the other schools in Canada.

I'm just wondering, were you a mature applicant or do you have other things in your application that are amazing kewpee?

thanks

Guest kewpee

I'm 21 and I recently graduated with a BSc so no, i'm not a mature applicant.

For starters, I think they really liked my application essays. That's what got me the interview because as you already know, my grades are not exactly stellar.

As for my non-academics, I volunteered in senior homes and helped serve meals to the homeless in downtown Vancouver. At my church, I taught Sunday School, and currently co-lead a worship band and am a high school youth group counsellor. I also have my A.R.C.T. diploma and teach piano. In the past, I've also gone on mission trips to Domincan Republic, Tijuana (Mexico), and Paris. I also snowboard and play volleyball. I have 2 summers of research experience in type 1 diabetes and pediatric leukemia.

I wouldn't say any of these accomplishments are really that amazing......they may be unique but they're really not amazing. Everything that I've ever done has been to pursue the various interests that I have.

Perhaps they accepted me because most of the assessors of my application liked what they saw in me. The "right" people just happened to evaluate my application.

I don't want to think that my acceptance was due to luck although many people may think that. It's only by the grace of God that I got accepted. You may think that that's total nonsense but that's truly what I believe.

Why was I accepted and not someone else who seems to be more well qualified? I don't know...all I know is that I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to study medicine and I will make the most of it.

To those of you who think that your grades or your extra-curriculars are not up to par with the most stellar applicants....do not give up! When I screwed up badly during my 2nd year of university, I thought i wouldn't ever have a chance to become a doctor. But my family and friends kept on encouraging me to keep pursuing my dream. Give it all you've got and make the most of every opportunity. If you don't make it in, try again! As long as you still have the desire to become a doctor, do not give up!

Guest Sumi23

Congrats on your acceptance to McMaster!

I just found out today that I am on the waiting list. I also got an interview based on my short essays because my cumulative gpa was quite low. I hope the waitlist starts moving soon and hopefully, I will see you in September (*fingers crossed*). ;)

Sumi23

Guest kewpee

Hi Sumi23!

When did you get interviewed? Perhaps we have already met!

Did they tell you what position you're in on the waitlist?

I'm definitely crossing my fingers for you!

Guest Sumi23

Thanks Kewpee! My interview was on March 23rd in the morning. I started my interview day at 6:45am and ended at 10am. I don't remember anyone else being from BC that day. I was the sleepyhead that day :b

did you apply to any other schools?

Guest dubliner

Kewpee;

Your bio sounds pretty familiar - we may have met at some point out in BC (maybe not, however...). I grew up in Victoria and have lived in Toronto for the last few years. I'd be interested in knowing who you are to see if my hunch is correct! My name is Dan Curran - pmail me at danielcurran@hotmail.com if you don't want to give out info on the board.

And congrats to getting into Mac! Maybe I'll see you there in Sept. (still waiting for mail...)

cheers

dc

Guest Sumi23

Hi Gortex,

I didn't mean to confuse you or sound snobby. My gpa is 3.79 fromt the last two years. HOwever, I screwed up my first two years and so my cumulative gpa, which is considered by mac for interviews. So my cumulative gpa was 3.45 . The reason i said that my gpa was quite low was because my friends who applied to mac with higher gpas than me got low academic percentile and did not get interviews. Again, I am sorry to cause the confusion. I just posted the same gpa for all the schools i applied to but I guess i should post the gpa that is considered. I haven't actually posted under the mac board yet.

Archived