Premed 101 Forums

How difficult is dental school? (UAlberta in particular)

Hey guys, I'm starting dentistry at UAlberta in August. I can't really remember the last time I felt so nervous about something -- specifically, I'm afraid that I'm going to fail out and have to do something else in life. Like maybe there's going to be too much material for me to handle or I won't have the hand coordination required to succeed. I had a pretty good DAT and a 4.0 in undergrad but for example I carved a million soaps and only got a 21 on MDT so I don't know what I'm going to do in dent school.

I'm not looking to specialize or anything -- how difficult would it be to just pass at UA and how many hours do people spend studying and stuff? How much free time is there in general (esp in first year). I think I'm just a nervous individual naturally but it would be good to get some feedback from people that have gone through the process.

If you want to pass? Very easy. I think you'd actively have to try to fail out since most students who get into dental school still have decent work ethic.

If you want to specialize? A lot harder. You can tell who wants to specialize in the class very early on. Its like competing with a bunch of pre-dents who are top tier in academics.

My advice? If you just want to graduate, don't stress about school. Do the best you can but don't act like failure/obstacles are the end of the world. A lot of people will struggle, even if they don't verbalize it, so you are not alone.

In terms of free time, it depends on how you manage your time. You can basically go home after everyday and do nothing and skip enough lectures since everything can be vodcasted. However, highly not recommended because exams will make your life hell if you have 50 hours of material  you havent even looked at.

Also, dont take the med classes too seriously. You dont have to be at the top of the class especially since 90% of that information had very little relevance to you as a dentist, even UME makes that abundantly clear that they forget there are even dental students in lecture. 

No one subject is terribly difficult, at least academically.  Perhaps the hands-on stuff will be tough but that comes with time.  

The challenge is with the vast amount of information you have to handle and the number of tests you'll have to take every month.  Good study habits are essential. 

I would compare dental school to 3 full course loads of a relatively easy undergrad program.  

Archived