Premed 101 Forums

Difficult or challenging interview questions?

Guest CuriousG

Guest Red Fox

Mac Hopefuls:

I really liked the tough questions I was given in my interview. I felt like I had said what I had come to say and walked a few inches off the ground out the doors of the Health Care Centre this past April. I am excited to be starting the program in August, so let me pass on a few words of the wisdom I have acquired from my experiences.

I think of a good interview (delivered by good interviewers- another subject) to be strenuous like the kind of muscle resistance that we need in order to experience the pleasure and satisfaction of a good physical work out. Perhaps as the hill training involved in a running program builds strength and power, practice with tough bursts of handling difficult personal and professional questions flexes the mental muscles required to articulate your best self as a candidate for med school (and other jobs). There are some basic techniques for giving a standout performance (the art of Being Oneself on the spot) when the stakes are high. I have worked in the field of employment and career counselling and have taught the skills of interviewing, so fortunately I have been well prepared for running the Mac interview gauntlet.

Essentially the objective of mastering an interview is to prepare well enough so that you are able to say what you want, no matter what is asked of you. Its about being ready to communicate no more than four or five core ideas about why you are skilled, ready, enthusiastic and suited to this career in terms of heart, head and character. You should identify what the "take home message" is for the three people that are evaluating you before you go near the place and become psyched out or too nervous in the hours leading up to your time in the room as you mingle with other hopefuls. The panel interview is a very contrived context which inherently has a power imbalance at its foundation. You want in. They are at the gate. But they are not there to exploit the power differential, rather to be checks and balances in the system which offers a ticket to a medical career. The good ones will figuratively snarl in defense of this golden mile. They are not the three headed dog at the gate of Hades. However, their job, as I see it, is to make sure you can hold your own in the ring (more sports analogies...can't stop...) and thrive in the community of cooperative problem based learning. You are there to prove your fitness.

Its not just what you say (facts and feelings) but how you say it (grace, verbal intelligence, insight into oneself, authenticity, knowledge of the expectations of the institution of Medicine). Go into the day with several short narratives in mind that you are willing to share which demonstrate 3 relevant, unique qualities you really want them know about in considering you for this role. A tough interview is doing you a favour. Its not the enemy. It gives you the chance to show your stuff, to handle yourself with poise, and make a decision in a moment of vulnerability: I beleive this resembles life as a physician. A way to acknowledge being challenged in the moment and buy time as you grasp for answers is to use segue statements: "I haven't considered that before, I must say that my initial thoughts on that are ... influenced by my perspective as a ...XYZ... etc.

I have also done improv acting and comedy. The secret is not to block the message you are getting but to receive with an attitude of "Yes and..." Everyone likes a joiner in this context. You don't have to agree or go along and lose integrity. But by all means start with yes and gracefully add to the issue or gently redirect.

I could go on. Basically, train ahead with friends. Ask others to give you a list of the top three qualities that make you physician material. Chose the ones you know resonate for you. Rehearse the take home message as if you had a thirty second spot to advertise yourself as med student. Tape yourself even. Believe you are a student of medicine (believe you are a runner because, hey there you are running). Then take your seat and let the best in you shine through. People are attracted to authenticity and calm confidence. If this seems out of reach, consider seeking help from a professional coach or career counsellor.

At about the halfway point in my interview, a true expert on the panel asked me "What question would like me to ask you next?" Train to be ready for this (like the game show Jeopardy) and you will be ready to provide your answers too. Make yourself memorable in the positive sense. Frame answers to eliminate negative attributions which are subtle or blatant. Sing your Gospel song, leave the Blues repetoire for another time (leaving sports for music analogies...)

Follow the rules about dressing for success, but let your personality come through. Know your audience. I took a calculated risk and wore a conservative black suit and bright orange socks. If you are a black socks type, be that.

Remember to walk the road of Correct Persistence and you will have fun while you are at it. Good luck!

Red Fox

Guest Scott L

Red Fox that was excellent. Thank you so much for your advice regarding interviewing!!!!

Red Fox, I was wondering what your background is in terms of schooling, previous career(s) etc. You seem like a really interesting person indeed :)

Take care and good luck to you!

Guest Red Fox

Scott:

You are most welcome.

I studied psychology and got a BSc over a decade ago. A bump in my life meant my plans for grad school and a Phd in psych were derailed. I have since been working in addictions counselling, health education, adult ed/ training, disability case management/adjudication in Workers Comp and career counselling. Most work has been with special populations or disenfranchised people: adolescents, gays and lesbians, women, disabled, unemployed. I am acquired additional training along the way in psychotherapy and adult education. I have been involved in community development and activism, athletics, and have a long term flirtation with writing and performance.

I can't wait to bring these interests to my career as a medical doctor. Word hard and play hard. \These are the same thing if we are choosing to follow our Bliss.

Rumi wrote:

"Let the beauty you love be what you do."

Red Fox

Archived