Premed 101 Forums

moderators?

Guest bears

Guest bears

For this questions, how much examples should we shove in? Is it better to elaborate on 2 or more examples, or should we put it in a list-type format?

Also, for duration/length, is it something general like "volunteered 2 years" or more like "volunteer 3 hrs/week during weekends for 2 years"?

Thanks so much....its kinda daunting when Mac doesnt give you an clear-cut guildlines!

Guest bears

shoot, the above post was in regards to the one below posted by BMW

the question is ""How have you given of yourself to the benefit of others over the last several years? (Specify role(s) and duration.)"

Guest Ian Wong

I would figure out how many useful things you can write in there, and then expand on each until you've filled everything up. I wouldn't make it a race to add as many little details into a list just for the purpose of fluffing things up and making your list look big, but I also wouldn't just put one or two things down. If you've got something in mind that you would feel comfortable talking about in an interview, then you should total all those experiences up, and describe each of them in as much detail as you can. Since there's no real guidelines, that also means that everyone else may be doing things slightly differently, which is just fine. The last thing you want is for your application to look exactly like everyone elses, which will NOT help your application to stand out and be noticed.

Also, please don't bump stuff back up to the top; things will get very disorganized very rapidly if everyone started bumping things up to the top to get attention.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest macmed

I'm not sure that Ian realizes just how tiny that little space is! Bear, here is my opinion on that (as a marker)... these questions are meant to be answered qualitatively, because don't forget we also get that list of all of your activities since age 14 or whatever OMSAS asks for. So this isn't the time to make a list... it's a time to point out those that allowed you to give the most of yourself. Some essays that I read were from older people who had a family and they said that they cared for a sick parent and their own children. Others focussed on volunteer work that they did. Personally I think it's better to pick one activity and explain HOW you gave of yourself. The markers would like to see what you think "giving of yourself" means.

Archived