Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Guest whataboutme

Guest whataboutme

Wondering what my chances of getting into Mac would be: I have a BscPharm with GPA of 3.8, highest scores in Canada in national pharmacy exam & lots of academic awards, hospital pharmacy residency + 10 years of work in hospital pharmacy. Pharmacology, pathology and treatment of disease obviously right up my alley, some EC activities (musical concert band).

1. How does Mac feel about "mature" students? I know UC prefers "mature" individuals. At 33yrs I guess that would be me :-) !

2. While I think my work experience has helped me gain a lot of medical knowledge, the AdCom may see it as 10 years I haven't been in formal education. Would they think I couldn't handle it?

3. What about having children. Does that discriminate against me?

4. Limited volunteer experience (but some)...busy with work & kids.

5. I haven't tackled the MCAT so am limited where I can apply.

Quite frankly, I like the PBL of Mac but can't seem to get a handle for what my chances of getting in would be. From what I can see there are some pretty awesome applicants not getting in to Mac. With 3000 applicants do they really have a system at Mac or is it kind of "luck of the draw?"

Guest bubbagump

You should apply. You sound like an excellent candidate for Mac. They very much look for maturity, life experience, work experience, etc. They also look for academic excellence. If mac admissions put out an ad for what they are looking for, your picture would be on it.

I also want to add, that no matter what you have done, you really cant judge what you're chances are at MAC (Underline the MAC part). It really depends on your essay. If you make a unique and genuine essay that really stands out, I think you will have a great opportunity to get an interview, but that can be said about anyone. I know many people who really haven't done a thing, and they all received interviews at MAC this year.

I have always though of the school as a random, in terms of who gets interviewed and who doesn't.

My 2 cents.

Congrats on the magnificant accomplishments to date... that looks like great interview material.

Guest Sarah

Actaully you are a great candidate fro many schools aside from Mac.

Don't let Mac intimidate you, I have seen some really big idiots slip through Mac's system. So although you are an excellent candidate, you may not gain admission at Mac while someone who has no place there will. Just my thoughts by observing some of my fellow classmates.

Apply to all the schools, I'm sure alot will try to grab you!

Guest macmed

You sound like a good candidate for any med school, I agree. And I also agree that you would not be at any disadvantage at all if you were interviewed at Mac. It takes a lot of maturity to handle the Mac programme (because it is so self-directed, you are not baby-sat), thus there are many "experienced" people in my class (from other walks of life, with children, even grandchildren!).

I wouldn't exactly say Mac's admission process is random though. It is often hard for people to accept that they have not received an interview because of their stellar grades, extensive experience, and the fact that they got interviews at other schools. But since a large part of getting an interview at Mac is the essay, you have to come across as sincere, interesting, and absolutely sure this career and this program is for you.

Good luck!

Archived