Premed 101 Forums

parking

Guest dubliner

Guest dubliner

hmm...applied for parking - it's a lottery draw with us and all the other undergrads. That doesn't seem right..!! I got more parking privileges in teacher's college than 1st year med!

Anyhow, for those of us who are locked into the drive commute, any thoughts on what happens if we don't get a parking spot? Is there any other option (besides train?)? I don't know the city of Hamilton or the campus very well, but are there private parking options close to the university?

Anyone have a driveway they could rent to me??

one hoop after the next...

cheers

dc

hmmm....If its a lottery, I'm not sure I want to play...registered for parking asap (really excited when I got my package) and the $$$ were already taken from my credit card and I have not seen a pass yet....perhaps a phone call is in order??

Guest sydney

Hey guys...just wanted to let you know that you need not worry!!

Yes, it totally sucks that we have to park in Zone 6 & 7 and take the shuttle bus over... but having attended Mac for 6 years, as far as I know there has always been available parking in these zones, although I have never been a commuter. There is a fair bit of construction occurring, but everything should be OK, as long as you get your parking application in by TOMMOROW (I believe the 31st is the deadline??)!!

The OK thing about a zone 6 & 7 permit is that anytime after 430pm/1630hrs you are entitled to park ANYWHERE on campus, so it could be worse. If you know that you will be past midnight at school (usually only during clerkship and if you are doing a late elective...) you should bring your car up when you have a break, because the shuttle bus only operates until 11 or 12, I believe.

Yes, I agree, its not the best, but I guess were just not privleged enough to be considered "grad students" therefore no nice parking for us!!

Hope this info helps, I'm in the same boat!!

Jessica

Guest sydney

Re: Parking...

The permits should be mailed out in early August (if that's the box you chose on the application...), which is what the parking people told me when I went in person in early July. We will be notified if we DO NOT get a spot, was what the woman told me as well. So, don't worry, everything should be OK!! But if its two weeks before school and you don't have your permit, a call would definately be in order!!

Jess

Guest Carolyn

Unless things have changed this year, as long as you apply before the deadline, you are guaranteed a spot if you are in the med programme. Hope that alleviates some concerns!

Guest macmed

Just to clarify an earlier point, I believe it was after 8:30 pm (or was it 6:30?) that you can park anywhere on campus with a zone 6 or 7 pass. I KNOW it wasn't 4:30 because I was annoyed by it all year! It might be 4:30 on Fridays though.

Guest dubliner

I asked specifically about med students and if there were any provisions like Carolyn mentioned...I was told by both the admissions staff and the parking/transit staff that we were in the pool with everyone else.

hmmm...well I'll find out in a day or two if I got a spot...

dc

Guest Carolyn

If you don't get a spot - call Cathy Oudsdrohm (she has just replaced Debbie Martin - programme administrator) -

I am positive in the past that all medical students are guaranteed a spot --- every year the parking staff doesn't know about it - some higher up has agreed to it. The admissions probably doesn't know about it either as stuff like that is administered through the main administrative group.

Archived