Premed 101 Forums

Hey! 

First off, your stats are great. I think you have a good chance at receiving interview invites at Mac and Western (as far as I know, Western uses just GPA and MCAT for determination of who receives interview invites). 

Second, I think you're downplaying the value of your work and ECs. Doing something that is meaningful to YOU is far more impactful than doing something for the sake of adding it to your medical school application. People have been accepted with little to no research, and I had no sports on my application apart from one sport I did in high school. Things like working, especially in customer service, allow you to gain a wealth of experience in dealing with all people, including dealing with situations where people aren't happy with you. That is really valuable experience and helps substantially with interpersonal skills. Those same experiences will be very helpful in your interviews. With regards to writing your application, take a look at the CanMeds competencies and see if you can relate those to your activities. 

For the CASPer, I prepared by reflecting on my experiences, and thinking about a time I had a conflict, had to be a leader, went through a difficult time, etc. I also read a few chapters of Doing Right, and I felt that that gave me a really good base for approaching and navigating ethical dilemmas. There are some CASPer example questions online as well, including a few on the CASPer website. That helped me get a feel for what the test would be like. 

Good luck with your application! 

2 hours ago, distributed_healthcare said:

hey thank you so much for the reply, everything you said was really valuable to me. It's true that my family business was in customer service, and it did really sharpen my communication skills, especially with strangers/the public. I should probably highlight that in my app. Also something kind of unique about me is that I have lost significant amount of weight, and have gone from obese to healthy. 

Thanks for your CASPer advice as well. I'll be reflecting on my personal experiences and map put how I dealth with them, and maybe seeing what I could have done better.

Again, thanks for everything :)

Yes, all of those experiences have value and show strengths in different areas.

No problem!  Best of luck with everything :)

Archived