Premed 101 Forums

Rejected in Thornhill

Guest Dave2003

Guest macdaddyeh

Dave, that is really too bad! If you're all the way up in Thornhill, I'm wondering why I haven't got my letter. No feedback, eh? Was this your first time appyling? I hear that the competition was fierce this year with the increased number. Maybe next year will be better:rolleyes ...I know easy for me to say, but I could be in your situation tomorrow.

Guest Biochem10

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection Dave. No feedback??? That's too bad--I was really looking forward to see how bad my essay questions actually were--at least it would give me something to think about. Well, hopefully you have applied to other schools and will get a shot somewhere else.

Guest MACbetty

hi Dave2003

sorry to hear the disappointing news. i'm in the east end of Toronto and i didn't get anything today--the wait is driving me crazy! i had butterflies in my stomach all morning and now i'll go through it all over tomorrow morning.

Anyway, i was curious when you say that you didn't get any feedback do you mean that they didn't tell you your percentile ranking?

macbetty

Guest IRNBRUD

Sorry to hear that Dave. As I am sure you have figured out persistence, seems to be key in this game. This year I attended an information session in the fall. One student popped her head in near the end of the session to add "I applied 5 times and had no significant changes in my application. Do not give up!!"

IB

Guest Dave2003

No feedback means no percentile scores!

This was my second time applying.

3.8 GPA

Lots of volunteer stuff

It hasnt sunk in yet!

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Man trust me, I know your pain. I've appl;ied to Mac so many times I can't even remember. Last year was the first year I got an interview. I was ecstatic and encouraged that the interview could only help my chances. Then I got the outright rejection letter and it felt like I had been punched in the gut and had the wind compl;etely knocked out of me. With respect to feedback - they usually do give out the percentile stuff for pre-interview rejections at this time, and then again in September for the post-interview rejections. Guess they have had too many complaints int he past. Man, I am truly sorry, but wish you all the best with other applications, and encourage you to persist.

~JZ

Guest MACbetty

hey macdaddyeh and anyone else in the Toronto area

just a thought that might make you get through the day with a little less stress--"larger envelopes take longer to travel".

so perhaps the fact that we didn't get anything today might mean that we will get a large envelope tomorrow!

keeping my fingers crossed. Hope there's lots more good news to come for all.

cheers

macbetty

Guest MDWannabe

You may yet get that feedback! Not that I'm in the know on this matter, but I believe recently the school has taken to not providing any feedback until the class has been set for the year. Certainly this applied to those interviewed who were not provided with an offer last year (both waitlisted and outright rejected).

Good luck to all of you.

Guest macdaddyeh

I really hope that is true about bigger packages take longer, but if that was the case why did RN get it so quickly? Then again maybe it's because he/she lives in Hamilton. Good thinking though.

I definitely did NOT have a 3.8 GPA though, unlike Dave, and I too had lots of interesting experiences. I feel shafted even without my letter:rolleyes

Best wishes to all! I've been glued to this computer for days and paralyzed such that I've been unable to do any work! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! At least I miraculously got a good night's sleep. Tonight might be different:o

Guest nicolekavita

peachy,

I know they are just words but it is sad to hear your news.

I had my share of major disappointments. Don't give up.

Guest macdaddyeh

Peachy:

I am sorry to hear about your rejection letter. The way you made it sound is like you expected it. Don't be hard on yourself. Do you have other options this year?

One final logistics question, if you don't mind--Where do you live?:)

Guest peachy

Nicole & Macdaddyeh, thanks for your comments. I didn't really expect it, actually. My grades are good, and I thought my answers were pretty decent as well. But everyone likes their answers ;)

While there are lots of things that are appealing about the Mac program, I very much want to do MD/PhD, which they don't offer. I have interviews at U of T, Queen's and Western.

I live in a suburb just north of Toronto.

... and I still woulda liked to have gotten percentiles. I am quite curious about whether I was way down in, say, the 10th percentile, or just grazing the cutoffs at the 85th or something.

Guest Biochem10

That's too bad peachy, but I'm sure you'll be gaining an acceptance to at least one of the schools you're interviewing at. Hopefully U of T! Anyway, it was nice meeting you last Friday, it's too bad we didn't have time to talk more. Good luck at your Western interview (it's your only one left, right?). I have yet to hear from Mac, but I'm sure I'll be getting the dreaded thin envelope tommorrow, it probably just takes a little longer to get to Montreal.

Guest MayFlower1

peachy,

I'm also very sorry to hear the news about mac...hopefully one of the schools you applied to will see the great doctor you could become.

Peter

Guest Nightrider

got thinveloped today...and I live in Kitchener-Waterloo for all who are curious. Can't say that I'm too terribly disappointed though. I was kind of expecting the rejection, and seeing my sister's not-so-great experiences with Mac nursing made me think that their learning style may not be for me. Oh well. Best of luck to all who have not heard yet.

Guest macdaddyeh

Nightrider:

I'm sorry to hear about your rejection and also sorry to hear aboot your sister's experiences (a friend of mine couldn't say enough about Mac nursing). May I ask why are you not "too terribly disappointed?"

Guest peachy

Thanks Peter!

Biochem10: Yes, nice to meet you last week! Hopefully we will both be U of T mud-phuds come September. :) Thanks re: Western. Did you apply there? Good luck with the Mac envelope, although I'd guess that you'd prefer U of T or McGill over Mac too?

I'm on pins and needles wondering about U of T... Sandy said that they will send out a small number of initial md/phd offers by next week, and then continue sending them as offers get rejected. But they won't send out any rejections until the regular May 31 deadline. Let me know if you hear anything!

Guest grandmellon

PEachy, I'm in nursing at western, so I have a lot of friends in medicine here. They have a really good MD program here with really great friendly profs. They also have a good social program for first years, the only department you have to watch out for is the pathology department because they are PSYCHOTIC! (Long story about that one).

We also have one of the best microbiology person's in canada Dr. Colby who is the funniest prof with best outlook on life that you will ever meet..

anyways.. just filling up time until I get my McMaster Interview letter... :rollin :D

Guest Biochem10

Peachy, wow, next week!! That's so soon, I'll definetly let you know if I hear anything. I guess I'll be checking my e-mail/mailbox/answering machine twice as much now! I didn't apply to Western, but if I don't get into U of T or McGill this year, I might consider expanding my choices the next time I apply.

Archived