Premed 101 Forums

Rejected in Richmond Hill

Guest MDin2006

Guest MDin2006

I left class early today only to find a thin envelope waiting for me at home. This is my first time applying to McMaster and was the only school to which I had applied. I guess I'll have to do a fourth year of undergrad. :\

My GPA is 3.75. Is that too low? My GPA will be about the same by the end of this year, so should I even bother applying next year? In addition, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for volunteer positions that I should consider applying to for this summer. I volunteered in a hospital two years ago, but was diappointed as my job only required me to give water to the patients. You would think that a volunteer in the Adult Surgery Recovery area would be doing a bit more.

p.s. I guess I'll have to change my username as I will not be a doctor in 2006.......:lol

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

MDin2006,

well, what can I say my fellow Richmond Hill bretherin....trust that I know how you feel - I had been there 3 times before I finally got an interview last year to Mac. With the GPA that you have, you definately have a great shot-like everyone keeps saying, GPA is only 50% of the struggle, and not even the most important 50%. Your personal statements (all 15 of them) are the most important thing, and I encourage you to take a serious look at them and think about ways you can improve. You have so much time ahead of you - I know, not what you want to hear - but it is true.

Take time for introspection. In that, I mean, really try and understand why you want to be a doctor, how your past experiences (or future experiences) and personal characteristics will make you a better physician, why McMaster is the right place for you to study and contribute, and what you see yourself doing in the next 10 years. Trust me, it wasn't until my fourth year of undergrad when I had been rejected from meds with nothing else to do that I figured many of these seamingly simple questions out. Many people in med school still have not figured them out, and view med school as the end of their road rather the beginning of their journey.

Basically what I am saying, is be reflective in what you decide to do in the next year. Whether it is research, travelling, volunteering in an old folks home, coaching a community sport, being the president of a society, learning a different language etc... make sure it is a reflection of you, your personal beliefs, your motivations, and your interests, and then describe on your application next year how it will better prepare you for the study of medicine at Mac in the future.

Just a little advice from an old pro :)

~JZ

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Oh yeah, and although the thought of doing a 4th year of undergrad does not seem that cool or righteous right now, a lot can be done and learned during this time. I completed my undergrad, did a Masters degree, and have been working for a year, and only now have I been accepted to a medical school (one in the states). My sister on the other hand got into med school at age 19 after 3 years of undergrad, and although she is almost graduated and doing very well, has some regrets as to what she may have missed out on - she feels like she never had a chance to take off the blinders and look around because she has always been on this med school track per se. I encourage you to take off the blinders and enjoy the time you have. Med school will work out with dedication, passion, and constant improvement. Sorry for the rambling, but I totally feel your situation.

~JZ

Guest Chieka

That's some good advice, Bizzak. One of my med school friends said he wished he "took a year off to learn life." I think that's important, but many people manage to squeeze it in alongside their medical education. I'm sure everything will work out for you, MDin2006 (now MDin2007 :D ).

Peace.

C.

P.S. I too was rejected from Mac. I think I'm just too good for them (this is an outright lie in an attempt to repair my damaged self-image) ;)

Guest macdaddyeh

Chieka:

Oh poop, not another dear poster rejected! I really liked your response; that's right you're too good for them (for this year at least). This is really killing me to watch everyone post with no-go responses. Maybe I'm too emotional for meds.

Nonetheless, looks like you're taking it in stride. No sense getting red and puffy; reflect, move on and prove em wrong next year!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear about your rejection--natty, that. :( You mentioned your GPA, but I guess you don't know what your sketch ranking was, right (given that the rankings don't sound to have been given out this year?). Perhaps it was the answers to your questions which brought you down? In any case, with respect to next year, it's worth another shot to apply--you won't get in if you don't apply.

By the way, it's great to hear of another person from The Hill--I lived up there from '87 to '96 and my parentals are still up in Oak Ridges. Wooo! Did you guys attend Richmond Hill or Bayview?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Kirsteen,

I've lived in RH from 1980 to present - safe my 2 years in Halifax for grad studies. We're at Bathurst and Major Mac. I didn't end up going to highschool down up there though. Went to Toronto Montessori at Bayview and HW#7 until grade 6 then went downtown for a preppy old english boy school type of an education. I do know quite a few people who graduated from those schools though. Nice to hear that others also relish in the 'a little north a little nicer' slogan!!

~JZ

Guest jmh2005

MD in 2006....

Don't give up!!! A 3.75 is very competitive anywhere...Remember you are in your 3rd year...I can count on 1 hand the number of people in my class who only did 3 years!!! Get your degree, re-apply!!!

With a GPA of 3.75 it was your sketch that you may want to look at...and a reminder, it's not necessarily what you've done, or what cool places you've volunteered in, so don't necessarily start planning what or when to volunteer next...it's what you tell me about what you've GAINED from your experiences in the sketch...whether that's working at on an assembly line or volunteering on a medical mission to Africa....I read a sketch this year of someone who did this, did that...all related to medicine, but that's all this person said...I did this, I did that, my Mom's a doctor therefore I know I would be a good doctor (in fact this person may make an amazing Doc, but what the markers have to go by is what is on paper, which in this case just isn't enough...). Its all about how your experiences have shaped you, how they will have a positive impact on your time at McMaster and in the future.

I hope that helps :\ Take care.

Guest macdaddyeh

JMH:

Good advice....you always give good advice. Don't blush:o , take it with stride. Thanks for your input over the last few months

Guest jmh2005

Thanks Macdad...just trying to give as much feedback as I can, glad to hear that it has been a bit helpful...

I'm still crossing my fingers for those of you yet to find out...

Take care :)

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Cheika,

sorry to hear about the Mac rejection. I was totally rooting for you - my UConn compadre! Listen, best of luck at Western with that interview of yours, and hopefully U of T will work out for you as well. Hey, if worst comes to worst, I think we got a pretty good back up plan- what do you say?!?

~JZ

Guest Kirsteen

Hey Guess Whozz Bizzak,

It's a small world: I used to work for Richmond Hill Parks & Rec, hauling lawn mowers around Richmond Hill parks during 30C heat. Patterson Parkette (right at Bathurst/Major Mac) used to be one of the wee spots o' green on my route. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MDin2006

Hi Everyone,

Guess Whoz Bizzak: Thanks for you insightful advice. You are right. I will have to do some serious introspection. Congratulations on being accepted.

Chieka: Thanks, and sorry to hear that you received a thin envelope.

Kirsteen: Thanks. I probably will re-apply next year, but will have to concentrate on studying for the MCAT for now. I just moved to Richmond Hill last year (was in Markham for 20 years). I live a little north of Major Mac. at Bathurst.

JMH. Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that so few people got in after 3 years. That makes me feel a bit better. Macdaddyeh is right, I've been reading your messages over the last few weeks and agree that you do give very good advice.

Guest mumfirst

MDin2006 - I would try to think really positively and change my user name to MDin2007 (because it will happen next year) :D and take the next year doing what you enjoy doing. If you are doing something because you think it will look good on your med app then you won't get much out of it. When I spoke to the adcoms at last year's info session they said that they were looking for experiences that people had had over the years and not just the year prior to applying (the word he used was "padding"). So look back over what you have always enjoyed doing and continue that - and take time to reflect on what you have truly learned from your experiences. Good luck next year MD2007!!

Guest Bone Gal

Hey guys,

Technically I live in Thornhill, but I feel like one of you guys in Richmond Hill. I will be moving into that area shortly. I actually live very close to Guess whoz Bizzak!

After getting my UofT rejection, I decided not to obsess with the mail by pre-occupying my time. I went to choir practice, volleyball practice, salsa dancing, my dragon boat practice, and marking lab reports for the course I TA.

Unfortunately, I got a thin envelope today to my surprise. I was pretty confident that I would get a Mac interview again this year. I have definitely improved my application since last year (or so I felt:b ), so I was a bit stunned.

It is a bit disappointing to say the least but I will be thinking good thoughts for all of you out there.

Take care. I think getting rejected twice in the same week calls for some serious sorrow drowning into a nice big bowl of Hagen Daz!

Guest macdaddyeh

Oh poo poo for you bone gal :( (interesting name BTW). That's bizarre that you got an interview last year and nothing this year, but this is my first time in the "game" and I only applied to one school to boot so what do I know.

Anyways as for Hagen Dasz I suggest the chocolate and cherry combo (Can y'all tell I'm a connoisseur).

Please take care and reevaluate at a later time; I understand there's a grieving process.

Another group hug:) then I'm off to bed|I cuz I've got to get up mega early to write a major paper ithat I have barely started b/c of this site!

Guest Bone Gal

macdaddyeh,

I did my undergrad in microbiology and human biology. But I became really interested in connective tissue, in particular bone. I just finished my MSc in bone pathology at UofT. I have a couple of papers in review right now for the "Journal of Bone and Mineral Research" and "Bone". Right now, I am working in the lab setting up a new histomorphometry lab for my MSc supervisor(quantitative analysis for morphometric paramters of bone histological sections). It is really cool......I want to become the queen of histomorphometry. The bone show is in Hawaii in 2006 so if I don't end up in medical school, I will be doing my PhD and hopefully going to the bone show in Hawaii! However, I still have my micro roots....currently I TA microbiology to pharmacy students.

Toodles,

A.

Guest MedsWannabe

I TA for pharmacy at U of T also.. small world! I also just got back from Hawaii; it's a popular land of conferences! I'm still waiting for my thinvelope. Sorry to hear you got one as well, Bonegal. I'm downtown TO and still anxiously waiting... All I got in the mail today was a blasted Victoria's secret catalogue!

What does Mac know, anyway...

Guest grandmellon

Hey JMH2005... did you say you read about someone going on a medical missions trip to africa??? :eek I mentioned that In my essay sketch... hmmm... I hope it wasn't too bad... hehehe I guess I will soon find out. I've got a question... but not sure If I should ask it here for fear you will get bombarded... if you would like to take a stab at it send me an email and I will reply: jeffsentra@yahoo.com

Thanks again! :D

Guest MedsWannabe

You know, bonegal, I also take Salsa (at U of T), and in between that, TAing for pharmacy students.. living in GH, and you knowing my suitemate, it's a wonder if I haven't run into you over the past while..

:)

Archived