Premed 101 Forums

Simulated Tutorial

Guest SoHo

Hi, could one of the Mac moderators give an example of a topic that could be discussed during the simulated tutorial? I'm just looking for an example, not an actual topic that will be used in the upcoming interviews. Thanks.

Guest jmh2005

There was an example that was given to me when I was preparing, this one was used several years years ago and went something like this....

A group of dentists decide to refuse treating HIV/AIDS patients, because they say that the gloves they use are not a 100% effective barrier as they can be breeched (sharp instruments penetrating,etc...). A committee (i.e. the dental association in that province for example...) tells them that they cannot refuse to treat people based on their HIV/AIDS status. Please discuss this issue.

Now this is purely hypothetical, but basically you can see that one could see both sides to this issue (most of these scenarios will have pros and cons, kind of 'two-pronged' approaches which makes them easy to discuss in a group...they want you to discuss this as a group to see how you generate issues, interact with others, your listening, faciltating, etc....

Not only is the discussion important, the evaluation at the end, both self and group must be honest and insightful.

I can't really say much more than that, I wish you all good luck!!! Take care!

Archived