Premed 101 Forums

Should I commit to research in this lab?

Olle

Hey, I'm an undergrad (2nd year) and I'm volunteering for a neuroscience lab.

I'm starting to learn techniques like PCR, Gel Electrophoresis, liquid culturing etc. and I find it very useful so I am trying my best to learn and volunteer for them. 

The problem is that my lab tech expects me to eventually be able to take on some experiments or projects that I'm now uninterested in. (I was interested in neuroscience and I appealed that during my interview with my lab tech, but now I'm really interested in immunology & virology so I'll be seeking lab opportunities related to those fields in the coming months or years). I don't want to give up on this lab because its hard-earned, and I respect the people there. I also implied during the interview that I would like to volunteer until I graduate.   

So do you think I should take on the projects that she will eventually give me? Or should I tell her that I'm just interested in volunteering for them when the time comes?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Bambi said:

I would not commit to what does not interest you. Your time is limited. The truth will set you free - I would be honest with them as to the direction that interest you and let the chips fall where they may. 

And I should be honest to say that I have selfish intentions in trying to hold onto whatever this lab offers me: Long term commitment for my med school app ( I started since the summer of my first year). They think I'm interested in neurosci research, not medical school.

1 hour ago, Olle said:

And I should be honest to say that I have selfish intentions in trying to hold onto whatever this lab offers me: Long term commitment for my med school app ( I started since the summer of my first year). They think I'm interested in neurosci research, not medical school.

Well, I would let them know where my interest now lies and I am looking toward med school and would like to continue with them on a reduced basis to do ........... Bede suggests you don't waste their time or yours. I had absolutely no research experience when I applied to and was accepted into med school. Life is too short to do something that truly does not interest you.

I know you have changed your interests to immunology, but can I convince you that doing PCR and gel electrophoresis are pretty transferrable skills in a wet lab setting? You are in second year -- you have time to hone in on something that really piques your interests later, but learning these skills makes you more attractive for the next research project you land. I strongly urge you to reconsider, provided you change your mindset. Nobody likes an uninterested undergrad.

If you don't even like research and are just doing it for the applications, forget everything I just said.

On 10/25/2017 at 5:45 AM, sangria said:

I know you have changed your interests to immunology, but can I convince you that doing PCR and gel electrophoresis are pretty transferrable skills in a wet lab setting? You are in second year -- you have time to hone in on something that really piques your interests later, but learning these skills makes you more attractive for the next research project you land. I strongly urge you to reconsider, provided you change your mindset. Nobody likes an uninterested undergrad.

If you don't even like research and are just doing it for the applications, forget everything I just said.

I understand this, and I appreciate they are using their time and resources to train me to use these techniques. I noticed that a lot of people are commenting on my supposed uninterest and lack of motivation, but this is not true. I have been going to the lab even during my midterm seasons (when they don't require me to) and I'm excited about learning the genetic assay experiments (because I know that it will be helpful for my actual research in applied immunology). But the reason they're training me is that they expect me to assist in the research they are conducting. I have no interest in their research, but I've decided to continue volunteering for them, and also find a lab that I can carry out my research of interest in my 3rd or 4th, 5th years.

Thanks for all the help.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:38 PM, Olle said:

I understand this, and I appreciate they are using their time and resources to train me to use these techniques. I noticed that a lot of people are commenting on my supposed uninterest and lack of motivation, but this is not true. I have been going to the lab even during my midterm seasons (when they don't require me to) and I'm excited about learning the genetic assay experiments (because I know that it will be helpful for my actual research in applied immunology). But the reason they're training me is that they expect me to assist in the research they are conducting. I have no interest in their research, but I've decided to continue volunteering for them, and also find a lab that I can carry out my research of interest in my 3rd or 4th, 5th years.

Thanks for all the help.

Undergrads go in and out of labs all the time. Yes, commitment is a valued attribute, but no one is expecting you to commit to that field of research for the rest of your life. Labs are supposed to be spaces conducive to learning and if that learning sparks questions that lead to other fields of interest (as they often do) then that's the way things go. My advice would be to use the time to refine your techniques so that when you do move on to another lab doing research you enjoy, you have a number of skills to show for your time. 

Archived