Premed 101 Forums

DAT Soap Carving/MDT grading

I just finished my DAT at UdeM, and I need to know what defines as an "incorrect" pattern. One of my end patterns has a noticeable amount of measurement error (above 4mm), but the patterns are the same as what was asked, and planes of all the sections, including the previously mentioned end, and angles were very good. I need to know if my soap will be deemed incorrect or will i just lose marks on the measurement part? Are measurements also graded for each of the 3 sections on the carving or just one total? 

Thanks

If the pattern you carved was correct and the only problem was the measurement error, then I believe your soap will still be considered a 'correct' pattern. If the measurement error was 4mm off from the correct measurement, then you'll most likely get 0 for the measurement section of the rubric, but the other sections of the rubric should still be ok. Did the measurement error impact the overall symmetry of the soap? 

OK cause that sounds more reasonable than being given 2/3 marks for correctness. 

1 hour ago, dentkid12 said:

If the pattern you carved was correct and the only problem was the measurement error, then I believe your soap will still be considered a 'correct' pattern. If the measurement error was 4mm off from the correct measurement, then you'll most likely get 0 for the measurement section of the rubric, but the other sections of the rubric should still be ok. Did the measurement error impact the overall symmetry of the soap? 

It did not actually affect the symmetry. It was very well carved until the last 2 minutes where i realized i took way too much off the flute section (measured from the middle section and not the end, very stupid mistake...) but the planes, angles, smoothness and symmetry were spot on. Do you think this would make me fail? (since the very limit of measurement error is 1.5mm) If so, is it possible only to retake the MDT of the DAT should I pass the rest of the test?

Thanks for the quick responses

again you would just lose the marks for that specific section and only for measurement! for example if your flute is still super flat and smooth you will get those marks! So if you fail it certainly wont be because of that mistake. You would have had to have many other errors do get a failing mark. But not sure what your definition of a "fail" is.

1 hour ago, Super Nova said:

again you would just lose the marks for that specific section and only for measurement! for example if your flute is still super flat and smooth you will get those marks! So if you fail it certainly wont be because of that mistake. You would have had to have many other errors do get a failing mark. But not sure what your definition of a "fail" is.

Thanks again for the detailed answers, by Quebec franco schools standards a failing grade is below 5/30 on that section of the test and 15 on the PAT. 

29 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Thanks again for the detailed answers, by Quebec franco schools standards a failing grade is below 5/30 on that section of the test and 15 on the PAT. 

In that case you should be fine. To get below a 5 you would need catastrophic errors on all sections of the rubric

1 hour ago, dentkid12 said:

In that case you should be fine. To get below a 5 you would need catastrophic errors on all sections of the rubric

Thats an enormous relief! Thanks! Also is there a way to only retake the MDT or is it always just an option for the DAT?

On 11/6/2017 at 10:45 AM, dentkid12 said:

Unfortunately not, you would have to retake the whole DAT.

Pretty costly in the long run...

On 11/5/2017 at 7:19 PM, Super Nova said:

Quebec schools just asking you to get over 5? lol damn might as well not even consider the MDT. my little brother can carve a 5.

yeah but aren't scores standard or are they raw? If its a 5/30 is that indicating you're in the bottom 1/6 th of the test takers?

Archived