Premed 101 Forums

Oh no! Video snafu

Guest MA2003

Guest MA2003

Hi everyone,

I was speaking to a fellow interviewee tonight, and to my great alarm, I found out that during her video component, the administrator told them in no uncertain terms NOT to write outside of the given answer boxes. However, when I participated in the video component on March 30 at 7:30 am, we were DEFINITELY NOT given those instructions. Consequently, I wrote a great deal on the back of the page. I know for a fact that at least one other participant in my group also wrote on the back...when we were discussing it afterwards, we both mentioned that the boxes were so small that we needed extra space and mused that it was probably fine since we were not given any instructions regarding space limitations.

Needless to say, I am terrified that this my hurt my chances of getting admitted; it's conceivable that they'd take a look at my responses and say, "Well, she doesn't follow directions." I plan to call the administration tomorrow and report this administration inconsistency, but still...I'm scared!!!!!

Did anyone else have a similar experience during which they were not given instructions not to exceed the given space? And does anyone have any insight as to how this might affect my chances (particularly Mac students)?

Thanks!

MA2003

Guest jmh2005

I wouldn't worry about it...if they didn't tell you, they can't expect you to read their minds...I don't think that you need to call them, but if that makes you feel better by all means, give them a call...

Honestly, don't worry about it...it shouldn't hurt your chances...:)

Guest MA2003

Hi jmh2005,

Thanks for your reply! What worries me is that there is a standardized method of giving instructions, which my administrator may have forgotten. In that case, how would the scorer know that I wasn't given the instructions!!

AHHH! :(

Thanks again,

MA2003

Guest jmh2005

I also participated in this aspect of the interviews...and can honestly say, "don't worry"...but as I said, call them if you feel you need to, they won't mind... hopefully they will put your mind at ease...:)

Good luck!!

Guest Dannyboy

I was given wrong instructions as well--we were told to write about the video participants AND our emotions. Apparently it should have been AND/OR. It's quite a big difference in instructions. We were also told that we were NOT allowed to ask ANY questions so, even though I wanted to ask for that clarification, I could not.

There were written instructions that indicated AND/OR I should have chosen those. However, we were NOT given any time to read the instructions before the video and it was dark during the video soooooooooooo.

It was apparently very clearly written on the insructions NOT to exceed the box limit. I asked about my group's situation and was very sternly told "tough luck", that an important part of the exercise is following the instructions, written and verbal (ummmmmm, ok--but which instructions should we have followed? Argh!). Some people I spoke to did not remember hearing to only write in the boxes and wrote on the back (i.e. you are not alone). I think you might be out of luck BUT please let us know what they say.

I think you need to put your situation in perspective of the entire interviewing process this year. Hopefully you won't feel as bad. I did TERRIBLE but it wasn't entirely my fault. I was put on high interview alert for 5 hours (and crashed after 3 hours--just too much adrenaline for too long); my interview day lasted 8 hours; all the people I interviewed with had had their interviews rescheduled---some people were allowed to interview on thier initial day but others not. It was a loopy day.

Point being, consider the possible compromised performances of those people and your performance on that one section won't seem as bad. The process was rough for a lot of people so hopefully the weaknesses in our performances will average out! Either way, I have decided to just brush things off--there comes a point when fate interupts our best laid plans and ya just gotta go with the flow. If I don't get in there is always next year and I like to think that there will be a reason why the very bizarro chain of events that occurred did so for a good reason........time will tell.

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Dannyboy,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It's ironic that the person that was supposed to have the quickest day in-and-out in 1.5 hrs. probably ended up being the longest. Mine was short, in and out in 2.5 hrs. However, I don't feel it went well either. I guess only time will tell. I hope you are mistaken about your interpretation of the interview and that the interviewers would have still managed to see *you* for the great person you really are.

I just wanted to confirm something. You mentioned that the exercise said "OR your own emotions". Are you sure about that? I can swear I read AND your own emotions and this is definitely the instructions we were told!

Nams

Guest VwDubber

Glad to see that no one ran out of the interview crying ... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

About the video. I just want to confirm that I remember reading the written instructions on the actual sheet of paper, which clearly indicated that you must only write in the box. As for what Dannyboy said, it's true ... I also remember reading in Q#1 that it was AND/OR ... so I decided to devote most of my space to listing emotions that I thought the video dudes and dudettes were experiencing.

Good Luck,

VDub-

Guest Dannyboy

To my fellow interview survivors:

No, I did not run out of the interview crying BUT something tells me--and perhaps I am mistaken--that one should NOT run out of the interview singing "I'm free, I'm free, ohhhhhh I AM FREEEEEEEEEEE at last" like I did. Just a hunch. Keep me in a room for 8 hours and I call it incarceration (there are reasons why I HATE didactic, lecture-format education!!) sooooooo that explains my complete elation upon finally finishing. I was so happy.

Nams: Thanks for the kind words but I am thinking that even if my interviewers gave me some benefit-of-the-doubt (ie. maybe she isn't as unprepared and as stupid as she sounds), my grandiose happy dance at the end might make them think overwise.

Yeah, I was one of the first to arrive and the very last to leave-------soooo funny. In and out? Ha, ha.

Let's face it--the video section was a bit of a mess. Just gotta laugh it off. The instructions read "and/or" but the verbal instructions stessed "and". The "NO QUESTIONS ALLOWED" rule, I think, seriously needs to be re-evaluated. AND there is no point giving written instructions without allowing students to read the scenario and instructions before watching the video. JUST MY OPINION. This is why I suggested that hopefully the various mishaps will average our performances out. Gotta think positively!!!

Guest toothyhuh

For the video, i remember reading a line that asked us to answer in the "space provided" i.e. the boxes. I had part of one word sticking out, but that was about it.

As far as the AND/OR issue, I think I used 90% of the space talking about the participants, and 10% describing my own feelings (1 line). One thing I did not do, was to talk about the physician. Perhaps, I should've.

Also, before my session, the co-ordinator specifically advised us not to answer in point form.

Dannyboy, I'm sorry to hear that you ran out of steam at the end, but your interviewers were prob in teh same situation. Apparently they had only 10 interview teams as opposed to the normal 16, so I'm sure the interviewers were exhausted as well and would understand.

Good luck to everyone.

Guest IRNBRUD

"Also, before my session, the co-ordinator specifically advised us not to answer in point form"

Somehow I knew this would come up. I for one certainly was NOT given this instruction in my video session. Maybe it was in the written instructions that we were not really even given time to read before the lights went out....

As for the AND/OR question...if you wrote about the actors or yourself exclusively then you would be following the "OR". If you wrote about both, you would be following "AND"! I feel really stupid here but...what difference does it make?

While I totally agree that this type of discussion is cathartic and necessary after the interviews, I sure hope it ends soon. Every time I read this thread a bolt of panic streaks up my spine. If we spend the next 6 weeks discussing the minutia of the instructions on the video we will most certainly go MAD :eek :eek :eek

Maybe we should resolve to end this kind of thing within the next few days once everyone has had a chance to vent. Just like with the written apps in Oct, THERE IS NOTHING FURTHER WE CAN DO SO WHY TORTURE OURSELVES?

Cheers,

IB

Guest Dannyboy

Although I can appreciate that you might be in agony, I for one am MOST DEFINITELY NOT. I am feeling pretty great actually. What is done is done. Oh well.

The difference between "and" & "or" is substantial. "Or" means choose between both and "and" mandates that you do both. They are completely different things. With the very restrictive time and space allowed, writing about one as opposed to both makes a big difference.

Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe it is best if you don't read this thread? I don't want you to agonize over anything. This should be the de-stress time. It's over--WE DID IT!!!!!!

I am really not perceiving any one on this thread as being particularly upset or venting. This might be because I know a couple of the respondents and they are not the fretting types. Suggestions are, theortetically, welcomed at Mac. I think we are just discussing the matter--nothing wrong with that. For those who get in next year, perhaps they can make some necessary suggestions for ways to improve the process. It is difficult to fix what you are unaware might need repair.

The initial person who started the thread sounds a little distressed but I don't imagine they would be after reading the responses--it is clear that many people got varying instructions which should result in the differences averaging out. Hence, there shouldn't be much to worry about. And please, if we are causing you stress, don't read on. I don't want anyone to be stressed out over something they were initially unconcerned about. Okay?

Guest Lynlloyd

Vdub, we were in the same group for the video. Do you recall anybody telling us NOT to write in point form??

1RNBRUD.......Thanks for the reassurance, you're right, nothing can be done now. I am, however, curious to hear from Vw!!

Guest Dannyboy

oh we are such a silly bunch. The point form thing was ONE suggestion from ONE person. My friend was told both are equally acceptable. Another wasn't given instruction either way.

Come on. Let's not worry too much. The only one who didn't screw up is that impossible PDSP (that is sort of an inside joke). He only counts as 1 out of 380. We all messed up a bit---we are all in the same rockety boat.

Sounds like people are genuinely concerned. That's too bad. I continue to rejoice for FINISHING. Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND it is a beautiful day outside!!

Guest Namgalsip

Dannyboy is right. In my session the woman that gave us instructions said that in *her* opinion, it would be better if we wrote in paragraph form rather than point form. However, she stressed that it is HER opinion and either form is acceptable.

I hope this helps to relieve some of the anxiety flowing out there.

I'm with Dannyboy.....IT'S OVER.......YEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the great weather.

Nams

Guest grandmellon

Re Vw Dub comment of dude and duddettes in the video... HAHaHA Vw! :D

I wrote in the boxes but I had to write smaller and smaller and even smaller. At the end of the first box by words were so small they might actually need microscopes to be able to see my writing hahaha just kidding.. it's legible and not too small. One of my comment at the end were to write more concisely so that I don't run into that program

I wrote about the physician briefly.. but she didn't say anything just nodded head and did "active listening"... I don't think it''s a big problem if you didn;t write about the physician.

I agree with Nams, lets go enjoy this great weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... oh @#%$... i just remember,,, exams... psych.... thursday ... 60% ahhhhhhhh hahhaa... funfun...

talk to you all soon!:rollin

Guest Namgalsip

Heya Grandmellon(balls;) )

It looks like your multiple personalities are coming out again...must be the weather!

It was nice seeing you on Saturday. I hope we'll get a chance to study together soon.

Nams

Guest toothyhuh

Sorry guys (llynloyd), I didn't mean to make people anxious with what the co-ord said. But to clarify a bit, she stated it as her personal opinion. She added that doing it in point form would not hurt one's assesment, but then I wonder why she recommended us against it in the first place.

Anyway, it is over, no point in frettin over this till June or whenever. I have a feeling that since exams are getting closer for most of us, most people will have more immediate things to worry about.

Guest grandmellon

hey lynlloyd... toothy is correct in what she said... further to that the coord said that if you are good at writing point form go ahead and do it.. just do whatever is most comfortable.. there is no right and wrong... just have to make sure you cover all the emotions... and I'm sure you did a great job because Nurses are Experts at that! hehee

Nams, I hope to study with you too! hehehe

talk to you soon!!

Guest jmh2005

Whatever was on the paper...front, back, sides, in or out of the box, one-word, point form, prose, short sentences or dissertations, etc...it was all read and marked on the day of your interview regardless of form or function...now, I hope that puts your minds at ease!

Take care, try not to stress over what is now done...just hang in there for a little longer!!

Guest VwDubber

Lynster,

I can reassure you that I was all ears for the oral instructions to the video portion and there was no mention of how you should (or should not) structure your answers (ie. point form vs. paragraph). This was also not specified in the written instructions as I read these over several times.

I do remember her telling us that in the over 20 years that she has been doing admin ... they have always been on time. Then she added ... that they were 1.5 hours behind schedule for us. hahahahahaha ... Prolly didn't help that there was no picture coming out at one point or that the sound was dead or that they had to kick over half of the people out in the room eh? :rollin

Chillin'

VDub-

Guest VwDubber
toothy is correct in what she
[/b]

Toothy's XY :P. I think you should lay off on the medicinal marijuana for a while. It may be imparing your cybervision GiantMellon. :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

VDub-:b :D :D :b

Archived