Premed 101 Forums

Oh no! Video snafu

Guest MA2003

Guest grandmellon

Give me a break dubby! It was a slip of cognitions that lead me to do that... :P And medical mary-do-you-wanna is good stuff and would recommend for all pain sufferers :eek ! hahaha just kidding.... hmm sounds like an interesting sim tut topic though. Can-a-bus makes really good rope too... sorry about the sex change toothy :D (it was my other personality that typed that msg...

Guest Lynlloyd

Thanks to All for the reassuring notes!!!

Just when you think it went well.........along comes a little bombshell!!

Anyhoooooo....Yes, I am enjoying the nice weather and I hope you are all doing the same.

I'm really going to try and put it all behind me now.

Here's to no more worries :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Guest VwDubber

haha @ give me a break.

Sounds like that old kit kat commercial. The one that goes like this .... "give me a break .... break me off a piece of that kit kat bar" ... sing it boys and girls :P

Did I teee off one of your multiple personas off cuz they didn't even realize that it was your 100th post !!!!!!! Sapollepopet

hahahaha .... :P

What is a Can-a-bus? ...

VDub- :)

Guest grandmellon

Celebrate good time, comeon! LET's all celebrate good times! Comeon! Hmmm 100 postS? woohoo i guess hehehe... scary... i should be spending more time working :o:D But I love this place and all you peoples! :D :D :D :D :rollin

Guest macdaddyeh

Let's hope nobody was penalized for "thinking outside the box" :rollin

In all seriousness, however, we were advised in my group NOT to write outside the box, and I also recall reading about the and/or thing as well as not being allowed to ask any questions. Moreover, I screwed up for not writing enough so for those who wrote a lot, you're in a better position! Worst case scenario, I can see them not taking into account what was written outside the box, but that doesn't matter if what you DID write INSIDE the box was accepted. We're all reading in to this way too much!

Guest grandmellon

apparently the box is as big as you want it to be... hehehe ?8.5X11???

well if you can imagine three boxes on one side of an 8.5 x 11 with spaces in between each box and a 1 inch margin you would have the McBox.:rollin

Guest Blackbird15

hi there,

Just to add my two cents and to alleviate some fears, at my video session, they RECOMMENDED that we write in full sentences, but they didn't say that we shouldn't write in point-form (GRRR... double negative). As for the staying inside the box, I'm pretty sure it said somewhere not to write anything outside the box, but if a Mac student tells us that it doesn't matter (as I believe jmh2005 did), then it doesn't matter... it bothers me though, since I would have liked to have written more, but shucksdarnit, I ran out of space... oh well... On the bright side, apparently McGill is sending out their feedback early next week! Yippeeee!... And, for no good reason, here's THE DEVIL... :evil

heh... do you guys remember those old Saturday Night Live skits with Dana Carvey as the church lady? "Could it be SATAN...ATAN...ATAN..."

Blackbird

Guest MA2003

Hi all,

It seems that I inadvertently opened up a can of worms with this thread! My apologies to all who became stressed reading the thread. While I fully agree with those who posted that it's done, out of our hands, time to move on, I do think that it's useful (not to mention cathartic!) to discuss this issue.

Just to some up, there are a few points that seem to me to be particularly salient:

1) Obviously there were some real problems with the video component (if my issue wasn't enough, now we have the and/or bit and the point-form quandary). It seems that perhaps these problems weren't necessary dire, as jhm2005 mentioned that everything was scored (THANK YOU, THANK YOU, jmh2005, for posting that message! You definitely took a weight off my shoulders! :) )

2) What is the crux of the issue is not the specific differences everyone experienced; rather, that there were differences at all! There seems to have been inconsistency in the test administration. Something like this should really be standardized, and a lack of standardized instructions means that people's responses are not comparable! It would be helpful if there test administrators were given written instructions to read aloud in order to ensure that everyone received identical direction. Similary, it would be nice if they allotted a few minutes for participants to actually read the instructions on the forms.

3) Perhaps those interviewees who had an experience like the ones described in this thread might call or e-mail the administration just to report the inconsistency. It certainly can't hurt, and it might help the adcom realize that there were problems with the video component.

4) Finally, I'm going to take jmh2005's encouraging words to heart and be optimistic about this whole thing.

Hang in there everyone; May 30 is closer than you think!!

Guest not rex morgan

When I went through the admission process at UBC, they sent out a suggestions form after interviews. If they have this forum at Mac, this would be the ideal place to voice the idea of having a standardized set of instructions and enough time to read the written ones. This is certainly a reasonable suggestion. I don't know if it's one that warrants calling up the office, though. If they are experiencing variability in the instructions, they either don't put that much stock in the "following instructions" portion (ie. they don't take this too literally...you all filled something out, and it was related to what you saw on the video), or this year was a bit disorganised and they will inevitably notice this in the variability of responses they receive and will adjust accordingly. As has been said before, don't sweat it. I would be more concerned if I had written something overtly idiotic inside or outside the box. (eg. the physician should not wear red, she really isn't a "winter" ;) ) Consider it a good intro to med school. There is alot to manage in the admissions and educational processes in med school. Often (at least at UBC) instructions aren't perfect. You do get somewhat used to it. There is something to be said for maintaining perspective and picking your battles. Good luck to all of you. As I remember, my cortisol level was rather high for a couple of months after my interview.

Archived