Premed 101 Forums

My interview experience

Guest misagh

Guest misagh

Hello all,

As promised, I'm writing about my interview experience at Mac on Sunday. I wanted to send this first to a moderator to make sure I don't divulge information I shouldn't be divulging, but hopefully the moderators can step in and edit whatever they feel they need to.

And I think this past weekend was the last interview weekend, so I dunno how much this will help others this round... oh well, here goes.

So, our day started at 10 am. We got a chance to meet several 1st yr med students. These terrific students made us feel at ease, and answered our questions as best they could. We did our video portion (the video of the elderly couple visiting their new family physician, talking about their daily life, etc.). Advice has already been given in other posts regarding "strategy" when it comes to the video. Next we did the small group discussion. It seems the group and self evaluations after the 15 min discussion were verbal, not written... for some reason I thought these evaluations would be done on paper, so it left me scratching my head for a few tenths of a second (time is of the essence!), and our group was really good, so we didn't have any problems.

As some of you may know, there was some resheduling of the 3-on-1 interviews, so instead of going at 1 pm i did mine at 3 pm. But, in the interim, we got a chance to further chat with the mac students, fellow applicants (shouts out to logosmd :D and the lurkers... you know who you are :) ), and have a tour of campus. The 3-on-1 was relaxed, the interviewers asked some standard questions (why medicine, why macmaster, drew from things in my sketch), and perhaps one or two questions that were more interesting (i.e. what are some weaknesses of the mac program?).

The campus is small but not too small in my opinion, with many of the buildings looking more modern, and having all the amenities one would expect from a major university. A nice quiet part of town it seemed too.

Let me devote the rest of my post to talking about the med students there. I hafta say that the students we met on Sunday were dedicated to making us applicants feel comfortable, at ease, and well fed! Apparently, one devoted mac student singlehandedly put together *all* of the food for us on that day (folks, we're talking maybe three tables full of sandwiches, bagels, fruit, veggies, cookies, chips, etc etc) She had been up all night doing this for us. How awesome and touching is that?! Mad, mad props... for you mac students out there, please give her a pat on the back on behalf of all of us applicants!

There were numerous first yr students hanging out with the applicants throughout the day. It was in no small part due to their efforts that the interview day ran very smoothly and seamlessly. BIG shouts out to I.P. for a phat day, and for the great impression of mac you left with us. :) It would be wonderful to have you as a fellow student. And a BIG shouts out to all the students there, some of whose names I remember and others' names who I forget, for taking the time to be with us that day.

Take it easy everyone! Let the waiting begin/continue!

- misagh

Guest logosmd

Misagh,

It was a good day...The most enjoyable part was being able to talk with you, the other hopefuls and the first year students. I really got a kick out of Ira. Made the day easier and fun.

That is a tough question you got in the interview... what are the weaknesses of the mac program? What did you say? I guess it would be legitimate to say there are no direct weaknesses, only a different kind of learning for different people.

I had some crazy questions too. One of my interviewers was pretty concerned how I was going to finance my education. I believe that he was not just asking it as a "question" either. He was genuinely concerned! All my interviewers were really sincere and friendly.

I liked the approach of the interview. It was fairly conversational and we covered a lot of ground in a very short time.

Overall a great day. Now for the long wait....

logosmd

Guest misagh

Hey logosmd, great to meet you in person :)

And, about the 'weaknesses' question... ya, I approached it the way you descried... I basically talked about how the program was in many ways unique, and that it may not work for some learning styles.

I had heard about the 'financing' question being a popular one at Mac. Didn't get it myself... I hope you had a great interview, and who knows? Maybe we'll be in the same class come September!

Hey, you didn't bring up your socks at the interview? That was hilarious BTW! Props to your better half! :rollin

Guest logosmd

I would be an honour to be in the same class as you Misagh. How is the wait treating you?

I didn't bring up the socks. But I saw one of the interviewers saying to herself, "hey those are some nice looking socks":)

It is very difficult to know how to plan the summer. Do you have anything lined up?

logosmd

Guest misagh

That was very kind of you logosmd, thank you. I'm rooting for you indeed!

The wait is long and tough. Wierd dreams, coupled with occaisonal mini panic attacks are the order of the day. Hopefully you're faring better than me!

And, about summer... yes, very difficult indeed. I have grandiose plans in the event that meds works out this year. I also have a backup in case it doesn't. My grandiose plans include travelling, and service to the community that I haven't been able to do during the school year... how about u? How does your summer look?

- misagh

Archived