Premed 101 Forums

15 minutes ago, sangria said:

At a school where clerks have to write NBME exams, what happens to the mark? Is it lumped in with the other evaluations from that block and it's either P/F?

Will they come up at carms? Are they used to rank students? 

What schools use NBME exams? From my understanding McGill used to, do they still use them?

I had to do NBME exams for peds, obs/gyn, and psych when I was in med school. The NBME component had to be a pass (60%+) in order to pass the rotation. The other sections for that particular rotation, like an OSCE component and clinical component, also had to be passes. The scores were then combined to provide a composite score.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:28 PM, ralk said:

Western uses them for a few rotations, though I think they were trying to phase them out. What gets done with the mark I imagine is school dependent, for us it was just a pass/fail situation, same as every other test.

i think theyve gotten rid of them...so far ive gone through/heard from  peds, obsgyn and surgery and all have been department written.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:05 AM, beeboop said:

i think theyve gotten rid of them...so far ive gone through/heard from  peds, obsgyn and surgery and all have been department written.

Good to know. IM was the other one I think I had to do. The OBGYN one was terrible, especially from a Canadian perspective - lots of questions on things that really didn't fall into what we learned on that rotation.

Archived