Premed 101 Forums

Questions (GPA, extra yr, when to get info)

Guest Hegdehog

Guest Hegdehog

HI!!

Can someone please confirm...does McMaster look purely at one's GPA or do they actually looking at one's percentage? (For some odd reason, my actual percentage is a lot higher than if one were to look at my gpa...is this "normal"?)

A lot of earlier posts have mentioned doing an extra year of undergrad...can this be done after I've graduated from undergrad? Or is it better to request graduation after that extra year?

Last question...when is a good time to start requesting for information from McMaster? Is now too early?

Thanks!! :)

Guest peachy

Hi Hedgehog,

Can someone please confirm...does McMaster look purely at one's GPA or do they actually looking at one's percentage? (For some odd reason, my actual percentage is a lot higher than if one were to look at my gpa...is this "normal"?)

It is pretty normal, if you had a lot of grades that were just below the next GPA cutoff. McMaster meds uses OMSAS GPA's on the 4.0 scale, just like every other Ontario school. They don't look at percentages.

A lot of earlier posts have mentioned doing an extra year of undergrad...can this be done after I've graduated from undergrad? Or is it better to request graduation after that extra year?

Personally, I think it's better to request graduation later, but just because then you don't have to deal with the hassle of being a non-degree student, you are still eligible for scholarships, you don't have people asking why you're in undergrad if you already graduated, etc. It's probably not a big deal either way, but I'd find out what the administrative details are of doing a year after graduating before deciding.

Last question...when is a good time to start requesting for information from McMaster? Is now too early?

What kind of information could you possibly need from them? Everything you need to do an OMSAS application is on the OMSAS website.

peachy

Guest gucio93

Hey hegdehog!

To get the actual gpa used by all the ontario medical schools, you have to use the conversion table below:

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/conversion.pdf

All other information about application procedures can be found throught the link below:

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-answers.html

As far as the extra year is concerned, you would probably receive the best answer through your own university. In some cases it can be done. But check to make sure

Guest jmh2005

Just one more comment, McMaster looks at ALL COURSES you have EVER done in undergrad, even letters of permission courses/summer courses, etc... so it doesn't matter to them when, where or in what you have done or when you will graduation (grad studies are a different matter however)...other Ontario Medical schools have very different rules, so read the OMSAS website carefully.

As was said, all the info you would need is on the OMSAS website and McMaster's website.

Good luck

Guest macMDstudent

Keep in mind that only University level courses are included, so if you go to a post-degree community college or professional training private college, those marks (however high) will not count toward your official GPA. Only fully accredited university courses will contribute to the calcuation of GPA. However, those transcripts from a college would still have to be submitted to prove you actually did it.

Archived