Premed 101 Forums

The process....

Guest mumfirst

Guest mumfirst

I have a few questions for those who might be in the know!

For those of you that have received offers (CONGRATULATIONS), by what date do you have to let Mac know if you are going to accept?

Secondly, does anyone know if Mac starts calling off of the waitlist as they receive declines or do they wait until the acceptance/decline deadline date?

Thirdly, if no one is home to receive the call from Mac will they leave a message or do they try to call again?

Does anyone know if any rejections were sent out?

Thanks!

Guest macMDstudent

I believe that no calls are made until after the deadline for the first round of acceptances to indicate accept/provisional accept or decline. Last year the magic date was June 15. I do know someone that did get a call on that date. After that, I think the calls are made as the declines come in, going down the rank ordered wait list. People who provisionally accept are on the waiting list at a different school. If they get in and accept at the other school, their spot at Mac will open up for someone else on the wait list.

People are given 10 business days to accept or decline an offer of admission off the waiting list (if memory serves; I may be wrong and it may only be one week, but they will tell you if they call in any case). I don't think they will have more offers of admission out there than they have postitions at any one time, so potentially if all the first group of people who get called of the waiting list wait 10 days to say no, then nobody else on the wait list would get called for 10 days. Wait list people do not have the option of asking for provisional acceptance, it is either a yes or no answer.

They will leave a message on your machine. They did for me! If there is no answer, I'm sure they will call again. Don't worry about being passed over if you're not home. They will get in touch with you.

The process takes time but the list does move quite a bit. Many people in our class got in off the waiting list. I found being on the wait list more stressful than waiting for the envelopes! Every time the phone rang during business hours, or every time I had a message on my machine my pulse instantly went up. Good luck!

Archived