Premed 101 Forums

2 waiting lists??

Guest jeffbeene

Guest jeffbeene

Hi,

I got my small white envelope today. When you guys are saying you got wait listed, did the letter mention 2 waiting lists?? I'm on the 2ndary list.

I tried to call them and ask, but they wouldn't budge on any details regarding size, placement...etc. Not very helpful at all. I wonder what they have to gain by being so secretive?

Are people actually rejected, or do they dump all the others into this secondary list?

Thanks,

JB

Guest MayFlower1

Jeffbeene,

I have no idea what the process is at MAC, however, at Ottawa there is a "good" and "bad" waiting list. The good waitlist letter essentially says you're on a waitlist...the bad waitlist essentially says you're on a waitlist but due to your position you really don't have a chance. Again, I have no idea if this is the same at Mac...but maybe one of the moderators could verify.

Good luck...

Peter

Guest VwDubber

Hey Everyone,

This has got to be one of the worse days I have had in a long time. My mom calls me this morning to tell me that a relative on my dad's side of the family has passed away and their funeral is next Sat. However, it's out of town so we have to leave on Friday which means I won't be able to make the get together on the 6th. I ask her if anything has arrived ... she says no.

Then I drive from Guelph to Toronto (cuz I have a baptism to attend this weekend) .... and notice we have mail in our mailbox. Flip through it and see the dreaded THIN WHITE ENVELOPE from Mac ... so .... I think to myself ... ok .. no biggie, I got rejected but it's okay.

I go to open it and here is what it says:

Our selection process for the McMaster Undergraduate Medical Class for 2003 has now been completed.

Although you are not among the 138 to receive an offer of admission at this time, nor on the primary waiting list, you have been placed on a secondary list. This secondary waiting list would only be utilized should there be a sufficient number of declined offers amongst applicants offered admission to exhaust the primary waiting list. Please be assured that we will call you immediately if a space becomes available. However, you should note that if you have already accepted an offer at another Ontario university and an opening becomes available at McMaster, you will not receive an offer from us.

Anyone offered admission from the secondary waiting list is not eligible to apply for deferred registration.

Should a position become available, we will use the telephone number(s) and address(es) provided in your application. If your address and/or telephone number have been changed, please inform this office.

Good luck in the competition for an offer to Medical School.

Sincerely,

End of letter---

arrgggggggggggggggggggggggggg..... I don't understand why they have to be so secretive? Also have they stop sending out rejections b/c everyone who has posted on here has either been offered admission or waitlisted?

On a happy NOTE: CONGRATULATIONS NAMS !!!!!!!! THAT IS SO AWESOME. :) :) :) :) :);) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And of course GOOD LUCK to those still anxiously waiting!

Sorry ... just had to VENT!

Dubby-

Guest peachy

A couple of years ago Mac exhausted their wait list and had to accept people who were originally rejected ... maybe this new "secondary wait list" is a response to that.

Guest Namgalsip

Hey VW,

Wow, I'm shocked. I thought you were a shoe-in. In our practice interview with you, you seemed perfect for Mac, I have no idea why they would put you on the secondary wait list. The only thing I can think of is your young age so if it doesn't work out this year keep trying. You will get in for sure. Remember that I've been there too and I have a feeling that one (of many) reasons that I've been rejected from Mac in the past was my age.

Thanks for the congrats by the way. Keep up the faith! Remember that Mac has exhausted it's waitlist in the past so there's still a good chance.

Nams

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, every so often a school goes through the entire waitlist, so the schools have to make sure they don't reject TOO many people or they'll have to start calling people who got rejection letters, a somewhat embarassing occurrence. On the flip side, to throw everyone on the waitlist would be to falsely mislead a lot of people.

Personally I like the "Acceptance/Good Waitlist/Bad waitlist" system. It's honest but doesn't eliminate all hope. After all, people on the bad waitlist still do have a shot of getting in (though slim) it's much better to "bad waitlist" them then to "reject" them as (in most cases) it's not a case of them being deserved of rejection, but of not being high enough on the list after the adcom has applied their admissions formula.

But personally, I like the "Acceptance/Acceptance/Acceptance" System. Hearing that good people didn't quite make the cut this year is disheartening. :\

Guest jmh2005

First of all...congrats to those who have heard AND I'm still crossing my fingers for everyone yet to hear..

Vwdubber: So sorry to hear your news. This is something new...they have never done this 1st/2nd waiting list before...so I can't give you any info at all...I don't know if anyone was even privy to this info...

The class before me went through the entire waitlist...so you never know...people had to be called in O-week...stranger things have happened...

I'll see if I can find out any info. Take care everyone!

Guest Lynlloyd

VW,

I am SOOOO shocked too:\ :\ :\

In my opinion, you are a great candidate!

There still IS hope, however, 'cos it aint over yet!!

No news for me yet....No letter from Mac today in Oakville!

Sorry to hear about your relative AND that you can't make it out next Friday. I think we should postpone for a couple of weeks so that as many as possible can come.

TTFN, Lynlloyd.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey guys, I too got the secondary waitlist letter today in Richmond Hill. It is a little upsetting, but I am so relieved to just know. I have pretty much settled in my mind that I will be going to UConn in Sept, and am very excited about the opportunities ahead. Although Mac would have been ideal in many ways, I feel very fortunate about my situation, and wish everyone all the best of luck now and in the future (if they need it). Here's hoping the weekend wait brings many acceptances for all those yet to hear.

~JZ

Guest faqir9

whoa uwo,

come again? Are you sure this is what you meant to say: "and it's not like they're so incompetent they should be outright rejected (in most circumstances.)"

Guest UWOMED2005

I've improved the wording. . . but it's basically the same point. What I mean is that (in most cases) people receiving rejection letters aren't receiving those rejection letters because they would make bad med students. They're receiving those letters because they didn't beat out other candidates according to some criteria defined by the school, fair or appropriate or not. . . and it's my belief many of them could have had first round acceptances under different circumstances. So what I was trying to say is that personally I think its better when schools send out both goodwaitlists and bad waitlists, rather than to "reject" a whole slew of people, essentially telling them they're not good enough to be doctors. . . which is probably not the case, especially seeing as it is possible the school will go through its entire (good) waitlist, and need to accept some other people. And throwing everyone one the waitlist isn't ideal either, as it can be misleading to those near the very end and (in the context of the fact we discuss these things in this forum) could lead those near the top to underestimate their chances. Does that clarify things?

By the way. . . I really have no clue about this new McMaster good/bad waitlist system. For all I know, it's an acceptance/good list/bad list/rejection system, which would modify a bit of what I said above.

Oh. . . and YES, I did mean to put in the "(in most cases)" bit. There probably are people out there that apply that shouldn't be in med school (though I wouldn't imply that about MOST people on school's rejection lists). Who they are is not for me to judge, and I in no way mean to imply anyone here into that category. . .

Good Luck to those of you on EITHER waitlist. I sincerely hope it works out for you.

Guest mumfirst

Hey waitlisters,

Sorry to hear that you weren't accepted first round but don't lose faith. There always seems to be so much rollover as those fortunate enough to receive acceptances right off the bat start to accept/reject their offers at the different schools across Ontario.

Good luck in the next few "waves".

Guest VwDubber

Nams & Lynlloyd,

The practice sessions with you and the others were great. I don’t even think I would have made the secondary waitlist without those practice sessions. I’m such a newbie to this admissions “game”. Overall, I’m not terribly disappointed even though it seems I have ended up on the “bad waitlist”. I was mostly dreading the “rejection” letter and now I am starting to wonder if that is what I really got, seeing that so far … everyone who has heard back has either been accepted or waitlisted (in one of the two lists). In the worst case, I will try again!!!!!

About the get2gether, I’m up for postponing it … but …. if enough people still want to meet up then please do. I will show up at the next one.

Jess,

I appreciate you trying to find info on this “secondary list” for me and the others who are similarly affected given your workload. Thank you for having such a good heart.

To the others I have met who are still waiting to hear (in alphabetical order) Blackbird, Dannyboy, Grandmellon, Jbird, Lynlloyd, MacforMe, Nams, ShelleyRN, and a few (who I have not seen online in a while) I hope you all receive the BIG BROWN ENVELOPE so that you don’t have to go through what I went through last Friday. It really is an AWFUL feeling (considering how far we have all made it) |I

GOOD LUCK!

Dubby-

Guest grandmellon

The verdict is in... McMaster has decided to put me on hold for now! I'm on the secondary waitlist... hey VwDub... can I join your club? ;) hehehe

Well Seeing as I have experience with being waitlisted by Mac before I would say to all the waitlister there is always a chance! (even though they say it's highly unlikely) Lets just hope lots of declines come in hehehe.

I would also like to thank the "gang" for all their help and support as well! Next year I know I will be coming out to more sessions :)

Best of luck to Lynlloyd and Dannyboy and MacforMe and Jbird and ShellyRn(run on sentence?)... you can do it!

And a huge congrats to Nams and Blackbird again!

Now at least I know that I don't have to scramble to find a new house before I leave for Africa! hehehe

Talk to you all soon

Guest grandmellon

I have an idear to see if we can figure out the "key".... Muahahaha What we need to do is figure out how big the primary waiting list is... soooooo... I think that I read that the primary peoples are given their rank?? is this right?? if so if they would post ANONyMOUsly their rank (Ie. just post without your ID hehe) we may be able to figure out how big it is...

HEY... How come noone has got an outright rejection letter??? did they not send them out??? :o

Guest CLYL

sorry to burst your bubble grandmellon, but i didn't receive any rankings on my primary list letter, and i doubt the admissions people will divulge that information. but like others have said, primary waitlisters may receive offers elsewhere and may drop their place, so there is hope for those on the 2nd wait list!!

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi everyone:

Just spoke to a friend who got in at both Mac and U of T and she will be accepting the latter! Add her to the others with multiple offers and that wait list should be movin shortly;)

Archived