Premed 101 Forums

Can't decide whether to retake DAT (Western)

Hello,

Waiting on response for Western interview.

I got 22 in reading comp, 19 in PAT, and 21 in sci (academic average 21). My top two years are 89 avg (looking for Western acceptance). I'm considering rewriting the DAT in February to increase my PAT mark, since Western may now be looking at PAT marks.

My worry of course is that I may not perform as well in the upcoming Feb DAT. I would be risking my 22 in reading comp. Looking for people's opinions to help me decide.

Cheers,

banjo157

Hi,

Lol for me, I wrote the DAT a total of 3 times. First time I wrote it, I scored a 22 on RC, 21 AA, 21 PAT. I wrote this during my third year of uni and wasn't too happy with my marks so I decided to rewrite it next year in November. When I rewrote it, I got a 17 on RC, 23 PAT, 21AA. That 17 on RC destroyed me and made me regret writing it so much because I didn't make the cutoff for Western. So this year, I wrote it again mainly so I would make the RC cutoff for western. Thankfully, I made the RC cutoff this year but honestly, if I could go back in time, I would stop myself from writing it a second time. 

You can rewrite it to try and boost your PAT and AA but don't neglect RC, because a DAT score which may below average but you at least make the cutoff is better than not making the cutoff at all.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:02 PM, MrDrEvil said:

Hi,

Lol for me, I wrote the DAT a total of 3 times. First time I wrote it, I scored a 22 on RC, 21 AA, 21 PAT. I wrote this during my third year of uni and wasn't too happy with my marks so I decided to rewrite it next year in November. When I rewrote it, I got a 17 on RC, 23 PAT, 21AA. That 17 on RC destroyed me and made me regret writing it so much because I didn't make the cutoff for Western. So this year, I wrote it again mainly so I would make the RC cutoff for western. Thankfully, I made the RC cutoff this year but honestly, if I could go back in time, I would stop myself from writing it a second time. 

You can rewrite it to try and boost your PAT and AA but don't neglect RC, because a DAT score which may below average but you at least make the cutoff is better than not making the cutoff at all.

May I know what the cutoffs are?

Your scores and GPA look fine! I would hold off on a re-write and focus your energies on this application cycle. I think a 19 in PAT is fine - I personally cannot see them have a cutoff of 20 PAT. However, even if they did then it would be advisable to re-write in November (this will give you plenty of time to prepare for a stronger re-write score and relieve yourself of any stress about the DAT right now when you should only be thinking about interview preparation). I was planning a February re-write of the application cycle that I received offers from U of T and UWO and while I paid for the spot, I am very glad I did not re-write.

You got this.

1 hour ago, Steins;Gate said:

Your scores and GPA look fine! I would hold off on a re-write and focus your energies on this application cycle. I think a 19 in PAT is fine - I personally cannot see them have a cutoff of 20 PAT. However, even if they did then it would be advisable to re-write in November (this will give you plenty of time to prepare for a stronger re-write score and relieve yourself of any stress about the DAT right now when you should only be thinking about interview preparation). I was planning a February re-write of the application cycle that I received offers from U of T and UWO and while I paid for the spot, I am very glad I did not re-write.

You got this.

if i may ask, whats the down side to rewriting the DAT if many schools look at the best overall score?

Im currently registered to retake the DAT on feb. 24th but have an interview on Feb 22 and am still planning on attending both the interview and the DAT. Am i missing someting that i hadnt considered earlier?

13 minutes ago, Driillzz said:

if i may ask, whats the down side to rewriting the DAT if many schools look at the best overall score?

Im currently registered to retake the DAT on feb. 24th but have an interview on Feb 22 and am still planning on attending both the interview and the DAT. Am i missing someting that i hadnt considered earlier?

Some schools like Western take the most recent DAT so if Western is your top choice and your current scores aren't bad, then rewriting could potentially harm your application.

Thanks for your input everyone. After reading the replies I was leaning more towards not writing, but then I speak with other people who point out my DAT scores and GPA are the average for admitted students and how I would stand out with a higher DAT score. I wish Western published how much they weigh each component (GPA, DAT, ABS, PS, Interview) of an applicant. Also, this DAT re-write as WAVES pointed out, would count for next years application if I don't get accepted this year. If I don't re-write, then I would have to somehow improve my ABS, PS and interview for next year.

In a similar dilemma and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I wrote the DAT this past november and scored 19 PAT, 22 AA, 20 RC. I will be applying next year with around a 90% for Western and about a 3.91-3.93 for UofT. I was concerned mainly about my low PAT score for UofT, and since my GPA would be pretty average considering UofTs high threshold I thought maybe there's a point in rewriting to try and increase my PAT score. Also was underwhelmed with the 20 in RC for Western but from what I've gotten off the threads its not that important as long as you hit the 19 cutoff. What do you guys think, worth re-writing or not? 

3 hours ago, bluejay14 said:

In a similar dilemma and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I wrote the DAT this past november and scored 19 PAT, 22 AA, 20 RC. I will be applying next year with around a 90% for Western and about a 3.91-3.93 for UofT. I was concerned mainly about my low PAT score for UofT, and since my GPA would be pretty average considering UofTs high threshold I thought maybe there's a point in rewriting to try and increase my PAT score. Also was underwhelmed with the 20 in RC for Western but from what I've gotten off the threads its not that important as long as you hit the 19 cutoff. What do you guys think, worth re-writing or not? 

I had approximately these stats and got an interview at UBC and U of T so far! 

14 hours ago, bluejay14 said:

Nah don't rewrite just kill the interview lol 

Archived