Premed 101 Forums

Question for ALL those who have been ACCEPTED/ATTEND UofO

Guest excel2006

Guest excel2006

Hi,

I was wondering, How much research/employment/EC's/Volunteer work/Awards, is enough? I mean, when do you know that you have enough to apply? Does anyone know how Ottawa looks at all these - do they have some sort of grading system?

Also, what in your opinion would be a safe gpa to apply with, for a student from Ontario but not Ottawa?

Did anyone get accepted or know of someone that was accepted, who did not have a science degree? If so, what sort of EC's/Volunteer/Research work did they have?

If anyone could reply to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:D

Guest SaraKJ

Hi there,

1. You can't really tell when you are ready. Some people get in with minimum extra curriculum activity and research background and others with Phd, and so on. So i would say as soon as you have the requirement, go ahead and challenge your chance. Look at the admission requirement in Ottawa website, it clearly explain how they go through the application process.

2. Safe GPA, again it depends on the med school you are applying. There are people in Mac with GPA as low as 3.7 and as high as 4.00. As for Ottawa goes, i think the cut off is something around 3.87. Again they have different cut off for Ottawa residence compare to other part of the province.

I have both science ( Biochem) and non -science ( physiotherapy) degree. and I applied based on my physio degree. As long as you have the requirement, you are safe.

Hope it helps

Sarakj

Guest satsumargirl

Hi there

As long as you have the prerequisite courses the degree you obtained doesn`t matter. There are people in my class with various backgrounds...nursing, physio, law, philosophy, teachers, SLP etc...

So it isn`t like you have to make up your "non-science" degree with extra-curriculars.

There is no one thing that med schools are looking for. And if you ask most of us here in med school...we really have no idea why we are here and someone else isn`t. So when you meet the requirements and feel you are ready just apply and see what happens.

Guest excel2006

Does anyone know the exact gpa cut-off this year for applicants from ontario but not ottawa and not an underserviced area?

Also, what happens if you are at the cut off?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest excel2006

Hey sevcern, do you think you could tell us about your Extra curricular activities, volunteer work and employment?

What would you say, in your opinion, set you apart from the other applicants?

Guest sevcern

By the time the interview portion of the competition rolls around (the more I think about it, the more this whole circus seems like a sort of geeky beauty pagent), everyone has proven their academic ability. I think they want to see there is something else in you besides all those As you strung together that shows you will be able to fill the different roles doctors play (health advocate, educator, communicator, etc). My "other stuff" had variety, but there was nothing mind-blowing. Maybe they also figure people who have things they like to do besides school are less likely to eventually lose their minds. Really I don't know exactly why they took me. I just wanted to let people with non-science backgrounds know the schools are not kidding when they list their minimum course requirments. You really can study whatever you like and still go to medical school.

Guest Yangzie

Well said sevcern. I feel exactly the same way. Ottawa and other schools would like to see your character traits (the ones that you think define you). They would like to see the final result (i.e. you) after those years of education/volunteering/extracirrics. That you have a passion for learning, a desire for helping, and that you have kept your humanity.

You don't need to be mind-blowing. But you do need to show--and not just say in your interview--the fragments of wisdom you've gained from your experiences.

Archived