Premed 101 Forums

Why the EM madness?

SerpentineNino

On 2/28/2018 at 1:19 AM, SerpentineNino said:

Seems like so many people this year have applied for EM, and the competition is fierce. The question is, why are so many people picking EM over specialities with much higher earning potential like Derm and Ophthalmology? How much can a new EM grad expect to make? 

Gunning for emerg also opens you up to some safe parallel options if that doesn't work out, for example: FM, ICU, IM (critical care angle), and even anaesthesia. However, Derm and Ophtho are the "all or nothing" gambles.

And as mentioned, the cool factor and prestige really plays in here. Some of its popularity (but not all) is simply because it is as competitive as it is, lending an air of elitism to it - the same reason doing a CFPC + EM doesn't carry the same prestige, while leading to practically exactly the same career path and options.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:15 PM, goleafsgochris said:

I did neurology and had some contact with PM&R during my residency.  They make a lot through med legals and insurance work.  Like their staff made way more than my neuro staff.  The posted salary that only takes into account ohip billings for them is really deceptive.

Do neuro staff just not get as much medicolegal coming their way? Or are neuro staff generally less interested in medicolegal?

It’s just not the way the system is set up. Physical med gets all the “physical” stuff including all msk injuries (which if you think pack pain, carpal tunnel, mva etc is most med legal), but they also do brain injury and tend to get those referrals.  There’s a lot less med legals involving stroke and headache, and even less on other classic neuro diseases.

I think most ER appeal is combination of lots of jobs, flexibility and great pay with no overhead. 

It also lets you work really hard if you want without anyone cramping your style and complaining. I know a few ER buddies that do 25-30 shifts a month (a lot of doubles) and easily clear close to a million. No time off but they like it that way. 

Others are making  closer to 300-500 but work less. Also size of ER matters. There are gold mines in the west GTA (Trillium, Brampton, etc) where they just make so much money they all have Lambos

1 hour ago, Aconitase said:

I think most ER appeal is combination of lots of jobs, flexibility and great pay with no overhead. 

It also lets you work really hard if you want without anyone cramping your style and complaining. I know a few ER buddies that do 25-30 shifts a month (a lot of doubles) and easily clear close to a million. No time off but they like it that way. 

Others are making  closer to 300-500 but work less. Also size of ER matters. There are gold mines in the west GTA (Trillium, Brampton, etc) where they just make so much money they all have Lambos

Lol. 

Archived