Premed 101 Forums

Phd during Residency

I am wondering if anybody has any perspective/experience with pursuing a Phd during residency. How is this done? 

From my understanding, one would do the Phd during the fourth year of a five year residency. Is this the case?  Are graduate degrees pursued during residency funded by the program? I have heard that you get to finish a Phd a year earlier if it is done during residency. Is that true?

11 hours ago, End Poverty said:

I am wondering if anybody has any perspective/experience with pursuing a Phd during residency. How is this done? 

From my understanding, one would do the Phd during the fourth year of a five year residency. Is this the case?  Are graduate degrees pursued during residency funded by the program? I have heard that you get to finish a Phd a year earlier if it is done during residency. Is that true?

I heard Toronto neurosurg strongly encourages you to do one during residency but my understanding was it takes multiple years. 

13 hours ago, End Poverty said:

From residents I've encountered, it's usually after 2nd/3rd year. They want you to pass your LMCC part 2 and POS (if you're in a surgical specialty).

It depends on the program, the institution, and your supervisor. You should talk to your PD. Graduate degrees pursued during residency may be funded by the program on an individual basis, but they will push you to get a CIP (limited in #) so that they won't have to pay for you.

PhD's is not like other schooling where you put in a finite amount of time and your done. It's based on your work, and how much you do. I've seen residents finish their PhD in 3 years, when others finish in 5/6 at the same institution. But I've heard that they do try to push you along quicker/are more lenient when you're CIP/SSP.

Archived