Premed 101 Forums

Information session

Guest quebecboy

Guest quebecboy

Hello to all,

I've seen on McMasters web site that an information session for 2004 admissions will be held on July 9th. I'd like to know if it's pretty useful to attend. The reason I ask is that I plan on applying for 2004, but since I live 10 hours away, I'm wondering if the drive is worth it. What do they talk about, and for those who attended, did you find the info that they gave useful for your application?

Thanks, and best of luck for those still waiting for a response,

Quebecboy

Guest macdaddyeh

Bonjour Quebecboy (je cherchais l'accent aigu).

In my opinion, I didn't find the 2002 information session excessively helpful. Was it informative and interesting? Yes! Really helpful, no!

In fact this board far exceeds any information you would ever get in a one or two hour session...That said, however, the dean was present at the session as were two medical students so it was productive and useful to hear the unadulterated "inside scoop." I'm from Toronto and traffic was bad when I went so the whole trip took two hours. In your case, I couldn't imagine travelling ten hours just for that, unless you're in the area to do other business or visit friends/family.

I saw that many people had their questions clarified in the question/answer period, but really most questions can be addressed on this board or on Mac's website. I couldn't believe the silly questions some people asked (ie. Can I apply with a 2.0 GPA someone asked) when it states clearly you need a minimum of a 3.0 to even apply. Moreover, many hopeful applicants were on edge because of the autobiographical submission and many people tried to ask about the secrets of the submission but the dean didn't budge, so nothing special is divulged at the session.

The only thing I remember coming away with (and I have since heard repeated on the boards) is that when doing your submissions, FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS FULLY. The dean (I forget his name now) said that we would be amazed how many people are outright rejected or get horrendous marks for awful grammar and spelling, not answering the question in full or even in part, and not reading the instructions. He gave story after story of people answering in point form which is forbidden or rejecting people whose English was horrendous because medicine requires good communicators.

Bottomline is that the session(s) are like a PBL tutorial' you'll get out of it what you find most important and useful. Overall however, there were no surprises or inside information revealed at the session. Finally, a large number of people DID attend the session to my surprise and it also gives you a good idea of what the university facilities and surrounding neighbourhood is like if that is important to you!

Best wishes on your application

Archived