Premed 101 Forums

Apply or not to apply?: UOttawa

Guest ChrisJones

Guest ChrisJones

Just wondering if anyone had some insight on this matter...

I've just completed 3rd year and am debating whether or not to apply to UOttawa... Seeing as how I've heard the in-provice cutoff was around 3.87 and 3.83 the past couple of years.... since that is not likely to drop by much, I currently don't make the cut...

So my question is should I apply anyway or is that a waste of applying? I.e. I was thinking if I hold off and do well in 4th year, then it would be my 4th, 3rd, and 2nd years to count and that maybe that will bring the WGPA up to allow my application to be looked at...

Or does the school like to see that you tried once? And then they'll see that you tried again next year (if necessary)? Or is better to not waste the time and effort and only apply if you make the cutoff...

Insight would be great. Thanks for the help. Sorry I made this a rambling post.

Guest Yangzie

I understand that in interviews they ask taht you don't disclose how many times you applied...to keep it fair.

I would say go ahead and try. what if the gpa cutoff is lower? you'd be missing out on an opportunity. If you don't make it, then the worst you did was waste time and 75bucks. :hat

Guest Talon01

If you don't apply will you not always wonder 'what if'? The Ottawa application is much easier (I think) thank the Mac, Toronto, etc ones where you have to write out responses to questions etc.

Like the previous poster said, go for it!

Guest ChrisJones

Thanks for the help guys...

So I assume that means that UOttawa doesn't look down upon you if they see that you've applied before... i.e. no negative hurt done to a possible 2nd application. I guess that means they dont look up to you if you've tried before either. Good to know.

I suppose I may as well apply and try my luck for an extra $75...

Thx

Guest gorapsgo2007

Hi there,

I was also wondering if I should apply? According to the other replies the answer would be yes, but jsut wondering would a gpa of 3.81 be competitive?

Thanks in advance

Guest krismd

Personally, I would say apply! The Ottawa application isn't as long as most schools and the $75 is a small price to pay for potential acceptance. Also don't forget that the gpa cut off changes a lot depending on where you are from. Its different for in province versus out of province, and the gpa cut offs for applicants from underserviced areas (of which there are many) are quite a bit lower (closer to the 3.5 range).

Best of luck!

Guest miss83

Hi,

I agree with the above posters, and also, for the person that has the 3.81 average, is that your cgpa on omsas? Because, U of O does calculate a weighted gpa that places more importance on the latter years, so your gpa may be higher than that depending on your last years.

Good luck!

Guest everyoneloveschem

My rough guestimate for my WGPA is 3.79. I am from Ottawa. I got in on my third try at Ottawa, after my second interview. If you have a reasonable chance, I would try. It only costs $75 and your time.

• 3 weeks later...

They really just want to see who you are. Do you have interests outside of academics? Would you be a good fit for the program's teaching style? Are you someone they would want to have as a peer? These kinds of things.

The best thing to do is make sure you convey who you are...I found the application process to med school imposed some self-reflection. So spending a decent amount of time on your autobiographical sketch would be important. Make sure that in the tiny (40 characters?) space you can give them enough info and have them want to know more. It is tricky in that small space. But I used point form and common abbreviations and it turned out ok.

Good Luck! And remember, most of us really don't know why we are here. What med schools are looking for is still pretty much a mystery to me!

Sats

Is there anything that Ottawa especially likes to see? I am a 3rd year OOP. My GPA is competitive and I'm just wondering if there is any special way that I should present my ECs to give me a good chance?

My best piece of advice would be to not follow the direction of the extended sketch.. insomuch that they tell you to simply list your activities and job descriptions, but what really makes you stand out is what you learned, developed and grew from those some experiences. I'm not saying not to list your responsibilities, but be sure to include a lot more than that as well in your *tiny* space!

Archived