Premed 101 Forums

I had concerns going from a kin background to OT thinking it may be a good too 'fluffy.' 

I wish that were the case some days. I would certainly say that in some semester there are heavier science based classes than others. First term our human systems class was 4 credits and I felt like the lab could have been a stand alone course. Many people went on weekends for at least half of the semester to practice labs for our final. That class also started with neuroscience. The rest of the classes that semester weren't so bad.

Another class we had was science and research based on outcome measures of different screens like MoCA, Exit etc. 

This semester they have really started to emphasize research evaluation and evidenced based practice. 

I think I was surprised just how much science we delve into. My program is an MScOT though so it may be different for the MOT programs. 

Other than that, it isn't engineering, they want you to succeed and those that dont are very few (and most resources to help them have been exhausted at that point).  

Hopefully that answered everything. 

I agree with @lp1000 

I would just say that the lab for the human systems class could have been it’s own course, but the content wasn’t hard science. It was more learning how to evaluate different body movements, which was a lot to remember. 

All the other labs haven’t really been a lot of work or really challenging. Each lab is different and will contribute to the overall course differently. 

As for the neuro stuff, our professors don’t want us to fail. So, if your struggling they will support you. Generally I don’t think very many people drop out or fail the program. If you get in they want you to become an OT. They don’t really seem to care much about grades.

I would also just say- no matter what school you’re going to the content is going to be mostly the same. At the end of the day, each school is accredited by CAOT and they have guidelines about what the schools need to be teaching. If you have the option I would probably just try to go to a school near where you want to work since it will allow you to make connections in that community. 

Archived