Premed 101 Forums

Final Exam Deferrals and Applying to Medical School

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with deferring final exams and applying to medical school. In a weird turn of events I ended up in the hospital for surgery and now won't be able to write any of my final exams within the next two weeks. My questions are:

1. Do deferred exams show up on your transcript when applying to medical school? If so, should the reason for all of my exams this semester being deferred somehow be explained on an application? 

2. Is there a cut-off date in the summer for grades sent to OMSAS? I am finishing 3rd year and was going to apply to OMSAS this upcoming cycle. But now I have at least one exam in July/August. Will that deferred exam grade make it onto the application? 

Thanks!

"OMSAS must receive your final transcripts by June 30, 2018. Submitting the TRF by this date does not satisfy the deadline requirement." is listed on the OMSAS Transfer Information page. 

I think in your situation it may be a good idea to contact the medical schools you interviewed at individually to explain your situation and discuss next steps. If for example, if a school is willing to have your final transcript sent in later directly to them, that would be useful to know in advance.

1 hour ago, caramilk said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with deferring final exams and applying to medical school. In a weird turn of events I ended up in the hospital for surgery and now won't be able to write any of my final exams within the next two weeks. My questions are:

1. Do deferred exams show up on your transcript when applying to medical school? If so, should the reason for all of my exams this semester being deferred somehow be explained on an application? 

2. Is there a cut-off date in the summer for grades sent to OMSAS? I am finishing 3rd year and was going to apply to OMSAS this upcoming cycle. But now I have at least one exam in July/August. Will that deferred exam grade make it onto the application? 

Thanks!

Check with your school to be sure but deferred exams should not show up on your transcript. I have deferred several exams over the course of my undergrad and the courses look exactly the same as any other course on my official and unofficial transcripts. My school does differentiate courses completed under a supplemental privilege (i.e. extra credit) but for regular deferrals it's all good. As long as the courses are complete on your transcript by the time you submit OMSAS, you're good.

Hope the surgery goes well and you have an easy recovery! Good luck with the application cycle :)

Archived