Premed 101 Forums

Contract Work During Medical School

Guest 24medgirl

Guest 24medgirl

Hello all,

Wondering if some of the 2nd years can help me with this question.

As some of you know I'm a Registered Dietitian. I'm planning on keeping my license and am hoping to work ~4 hours per week as an RD. The purpose of working ~4 hours per week is to help me keep current in the field of dietetics and to make a little spending money.

I am currently in talks with Farm Boy about being their RD - doing grocery store tours and promotional activities. The position is pretty flexible and it works out to be ~4 hours per week.

My question is - Will I have time for this? I've heard that there are ~2 afternons free per week for electives and study. I'm hoping to fit in the 4 hours per week in one of those afternoons.

Thanks!

T.

Not really, well.. not in my budget range at least :P

There's a place out in Casselman (about a 30 minute drive towards Cornwall) that's decent and a really good rate.

Guest 24medgirl

Thanks OT6! I'm probably only going to do contract work for the 1st year. Mostly to off-set the fact that I won't be getting the maximum amount from OSAP.

T.

Guest satsumargirl

Hey there,

4 hours a week is doable. If they want a consistent time that may be a little less doable if you are planning on working afternoons, since our schedules can vary.

So if you think you will enjoy spending your free time in this way, you can manage it. You probably factored this in already, but look at how much you would have left after paying your college fees, malpractice insurance and taxes....I had considered working when I started but opted against it as I decided in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't really reduce my debt by much, and also figured I would then qualify for even less OSAP. But....I also wouldn't have really enjoyed my work.

Guest 24medgirl

Thanks Sats! Yeah the whole ever-changing schedule thing might be difficult however I would assume we are given our schedules in advance. That way I can arrange to work when I'm free. It will be mostly evening work, with some afternoons (when I'm free).

As for the licensing fees/liability insurance - I'm planning on keeping my license as an RD. When I'm a physician I'm hoping to also do some work as an RD - probably teaching (part-time professor) and advocacy work. So I have to keep paying my fees anyway. The other reason why I want to keep my RD license is so I can practice in the summers (1st/2nd years). Contract RD work is pretty lucrative and I really enjoy it.

Thanks again for the advice! It is REALLY helpful!

T.

Guest SaraKJ

Hey 24 medgirl,

I am in the same boat as you are. I’m a physiotherapist, jut graduated, and hope to be able to work as well. Not only for the money , although it is better than nothing, but mostly I don't want to loose my skills which i have worked so hard to gain them. I have heard that first yr is more possible and hopefully we will have some free time as well.

See you soon

sarakj, ( Azadeh)

There was a medical student who just graduated (2006) and she was a social worker prior to starting medical school. She did some part time work in med school as an SW in the ED at the Civic Hospital. So it's doable.

EJL

Archived