Premed 101 Forums

BHSc

Guest markvivid

Guest markvivid

Hi folks,

I know this topic was discussed in a really large, earlier thread. However, I'm new to this forum and just read that thread now...so sorry to bring something up that has been discussed ad nauseum already. However, I feel I NEED to say something about Mac's BHSc program...to clear its name a little :)

I just completed my second year in the BHSc program. I have a fairly decent GPA and am writing my MCAT this summer...who knows what that will bring! :) In the previous thread, there seemed to be a lot of people saying what they thought about the program, despite never having experienced it. I'd like to share some of my first-hand experiences.

Like every program and university, BHSc has its pros and cons.

Pros:

1. The people. This program attracts amazing students, both academically and extracuricullarly. Sometimes I sit in lecture and imagine (although I realize I have no experience...) that a class like this must be what a class in a professional program must be like. As well, there is very little competition. I think everyone in the programme is competitive with themselves ie they are motivated. But BHSc is based on PBL and group work, and that has fostered a sense of collaboration in our program. (here's a taste of the program: our 2nd year cell bio exam had a group component - that was the most enjoyable exam I've ever written).

2. The administration. We have a fantastic admin. By the end of first year, I was on a first-name basis with my dean. You can walk in, sit and talk with anyone, anytime. They are so friendly and always willing to talk. As well, the program is BASED on feedback, so we are constantly asked how our courses can be improved...and the admin ACTUALLY LISTENS!

3. The courses. Our courses are geared to a career in HEALTH care. So we take a lot of HEALTH based courses. So far I've taken biostats, health psychology, health concepts (learned about the definition of health etc) and human anat and phys. Next year I'll be taking health interventions and health policy. Someone said earlier that the program does not prepare you for research. Being in the program, I disagree. First year biostats was the most useful course I have taken. By the end of first year, I could read any journal and understand the statistical analyses they used. In second year, I wrote two mock grant proposals, based on pilot studies we had to perform on our class. It was great! A lot of people talk about the anat experience in hthsci. It was extremely demanding, especially with a 60% bellringer...but it was very worthwhile.

4. The size. In first year, this was fantastic. I had an inquiry course with 20 people, and a couple of hthschi courses with the 100 of us. It was a nice way to enter the university experience. It was a starck contrast to general bio and chem we took in 1st year. but...see below

Cons:

1. New. The fact that the program has meant a few bumps along the road. But this was to be expected...we took a risk coming to the program in its 1st year and were prepared.

2. Mac's attitude to the program. Sometimes I feel a little disliked by the rest of the campus. I cant count how many times older students tell me they were upset that the program wasnt around when they applied. Maybe this is what's driven us to stick together more then we would have liked...

3. Some of the people! Some students in the program are conceited/slackers/suck ups. But I think you get that range of people anywhere...everything in life is a bell curve! :)

4. The size. I actually think we may be a bigger class then most programs in 3rd and 4th year. Besides the psych major :) how many biomedical physics majors are there?! 100 suddenly becomes big in 4th year for other programs. This is what I think, but have no experience in the other case (cough cough...) so I really don't know for sure.

Other cons include Hamilton (thats just me...coming from TO), lack of Mac school spirit...but those are problems with Mac and not the HthSci program.

Overall, I have really enjoyed my experience. I do not think the program has made us homogeneous in nature. In fact, in my 3rd year coming up, I have 6 out of 10 half-credit electives! And yes, we do have required courses each year, but doesn't every program?

There are definitely a lot of med school hopefuls, but I think science has just as great a concentration. The difference is we're honest and open about it. It bothers me a lot when people say they want to go into pharm or dents or research...and then wooops, suddenly they're taking the MCAT! I find it refreshing when people are honest with what they want to do...and thats what a lot of BHSc students are. In addition, there are people in the program wanting to do PhD's, dentistry, teaching, phyio, speech pathology, health policy, health administration and more!

As well, the program has introduced us to a TON of other career options. Coming out of high school, I never knew about HEALTH research, policy, psych...stuff like psychosocial analyses and health interventions and assesments. But BHSc has made me consider becoming a health researcher...I'd like to study health care systems in developing countries. I don't think a science student is ever introduced to these career options until its too late. I work in a lab right now and have met some Biology MSc students wanting to switch for their PhD to areas like epidemiology and health stats/interventions, cause they didn't know it existed until it was too late. So I actually think BHSc is more broadening then narrowing. The profs of science courses I've taken seem to expect everyone to do a PhD in their field. BHSc profs expect people to go out, explore, see how many options there are in health care field...and go from there. That is why we have such a diverse curriculum, including a research course next year that will allow any students who wants (and can afford...) to travel internationally during the summer to gather data.

In terms of BHSc vs Queens Life science, they are VERY different. I don't think one is better then another, just different. BHSc is geared towards health care. LifeSci focuses mainly on molecular, pharm, biochem type courses. (of course, I could be wrong...) Both are important - it just depends on what interests you. I tell people NOT to go into BHSc if you are interested in pure sciences, like bio or chem. We take bio and chem in first year and cell bio 2nd year...but thats all the basic sciences you'll get. A lot of people really enjoy those areas...so I caution my high school friends to really think about what they enjoy.

As well, BHSc is NOT a premed program. The admin is very sure to tell that to all potential applicants. We realize that we have no advantage in applying. I came cause the curriculum sounded interesting and the people it attracts were bound to be very unique. On that last pt, I think ANYONE who makes it to university is unique. I've met amazing people at Mac in all programs...! We take for granted sometimes that getting to undergrad itself is no easy task (a lot of my high school didnt go). Everyone at uni has a story that will amaze you.

Anyways, I think thats ALL for now...haha I'm sorry that was long and possibly stated before. I just needed to get it off my chest! I hope I didn't anger anyone or open a whole new can of worms. Just wanted to give a different perspective from someone actually IN the program.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who got in!

Wish me luck on my MCAT....sigh!

adios

p.s. I had so much on my mind, I know I forgot to say something...so watch....chances are I'll be posting again soon!

Guest Jgirl

Wow that was a very informative post! After reading that..I am even more excited to be joining you guys next year. And..just wondering..what kinda electives did u take first year?

Good luck w/the MCAT!

Archived