Premed 101 Forums

commuting from TO

Guest dubliner

Guest dubliner

anybody go to Mac meds that commutes from Toronto? Is it a viable option? If so, do they drive? Go train?

Thanks for any info.

cheers

dc

Guest sydney

Hey Dubliner

Did you get good news on Friday?...hopefully...lots of us are still waiting! Anyways, I live in Oakville and commute to McMaster daily by car which takes 20-25 minutes, which I find long enough.

If you are looking at taking the GO, you really should be close to Union station or Exhibition (Ex is not an express train, however) and the ride to downtown Hamilton is just under 60 minutes, but then you have to take the HSR (Hamilton Street Railway...aka, the bus) to the campus, likely another 15-20 minute ride. However, if you have to stay downtown (i.e. go the the Hamilton General, likely only an extra 10 minutes or if you have to go to St. Joe's, its walking distance from the GO...)

I do know people however that do do this commute daily (none in meds), but it is long...some people like it, time to read, unwind...but it is often so busy that you are squished like sardines in those terribly uncomfortable, non-ergonomically designed seats!!...my husband commutes the opposite way from Oakville to union, and it takes him 55 minutes from his office downtown to our door step (if he takes the express!) which grates on his nerves...also, during snow storms/bad weather trains are often late or cancelled altogether...sometimes the trains are stopped for medical emergencies too (well, you could help here I guess...)!!

You would likely save money if you just moved to Hamilton...less rent expense and less commuting expense as well...its not that bad, I live there for 6 years doing my degrees at Mac and now I work there...the West end/Dundas and Ancaster are really nice areas, stay away from Barton/NE end...downtown can be seedy at night too, not like TO....

Anyways, you can tell I'm not pro-GO for such a long distance...fine for the weekend journey into the city to have some fun, but I honestly couldn't emagine being a Mac Med student and having to make that commute in almost every day...you'll have enough to worry about in medicine alone, forget when the next train is arriving and your connecting bus!!!...

Having spent much time in Hamilton and now as a commuter myself, I would think long and hard about this one...Good luck with your decision, hope this info helps and isn't too jaded!!

Sydney

Guest dubliner

no news yet, sydney - though I've basically made up my mind not to go this year, even if I get accepted...! Just doing a little research for next year's possibilities.

Thanks for the info!

cheers

dc

Archived