Premed 101 Forums

MCAT more time reviewing content or practice?

Hi all!

I writing the MCAT early August and I just needed some advice from anyone how has already written the MCAT and has been in a similar situation. This is my second time writing the MCAT (first time was really bad and I will admit that I barely studied for it for personal reasons). I'm working full-time so I realize I'm in a bit of a time crunch. I'm using EK for the content. The content covered in the textbooks is all content I have learned over the past 3 years of my undergrad so none of the information is completely new (except for some of the physics since I haven't taken 2nd term of physics yet).

With that in mind, I was wondering how much time I should actually spend on reviewing the content? Also, how I should review the content. I know it would be a waste of time to just sit there and memorize the information  (there are certain things I know that I need to memorize). So far, I have just been reading through the chapters, answering the practice questions and then doing the practice exam for each chapter. I haven't been making any flashcards or writing notes, unless there's a concept I really don't understand. My goal is to do a chapter a day (since I work from 9-5) and do 3 CARS passages per day. 

I would like to have all the content reviewed in about 25 days (cause I have 25 chapters left) so that I can spend the last few days of June and all of July just doing practice exams/questions.

I was wondering if I am going about this the right way? I'm so used to just memorizing stuff for university exams and I'm worried that because I'm just reading through the information, I won't actually retain any of it. But at the same time, I'm familiar with almost all of it.

Any advice?

Your situation sounds like mine and your strategy too! I had work FT when I was studying, had the same time period, used EK, didn't write notes except for memorization aids/difficult topics, did content review quickly with little chapter practices, and then focused on practice exams in the last month. I did well so I what can I say but I approve of your plan lol. Do supplement the psychsoc section with Khan notes or something though.  Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

This also sounds like my plan. I'm working p/t, reviewing content quickly but thoroughly as possible, and then going straight to practice Qs and passages.. Planning to be done review by June 30th-ish. Want to write in mid-late August. Also pondering an end of July write date since most of the schools I'm interested in take the best score. 

Good luck :D

1 hour ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

This also sounds like my plan. I'm working p/t, reviewing content quickly but thoroughly as possible, and then going straight to practice Qs and passages.. Planning to be done review by June 30th-ish. Want to write in mid-late August. Also pondering an end of July write date since most of the schools I'm interested in take the best score. 

Good luck :D

Good luck! Also if you want to write one in July, I may be wrong but I thought you could only be registered for one test at a time so you'd have to give up your August spot and then try to catch an open date after writing in July. Just something to check if you're considering doing this

Archived