Premed 101 Forums

new curriculum

Guest goku

hello

i'm not sure if any changes have been made yet.. but i recall that the current school program was being put on "probation" .. is there going to be any drastic changes from last year's curriculum incorporated into this years class?

Thanks

Guest kosmo14

Yes, there will be fairly significant changes to the first year curriculum for this coming year. I know that they will be cutting around 25% of the material from each science class. This takes away the amount of class time, and instead there will be more group projects, PBL, and other assignments. The curriculum will furthur change over the next few years moving towards a systems approach to the basic sciences, but this will take a few years to achieve. So the class of 2007 will be taking for the most part the same classes as we did, but with less in class time, and more group/PBL work. Also the dreaded neuroanatomy will be completely different (you should be extremely gracious for this because that class was a nightmare). They will no longer be combining it with the Arts and Science & Physical Therapy classes. It will be separate more clinically relevant class.

As far as the probation goes. I am sure you are aware that the Government of Saskatchewan has agreed to give the College of Medicine a substantial increase in its funding. This will mean the probationary status should be resolved soon. It is my understanding that the College still wishes the accreditation commitee to visit this fall, and it is thier hope that the probation will be lifted then. This probation status is actually a blessing to the College, as they finally get the finacial support they have been asking for over the past few years.

Guest saskmedman

Just to add a few more tidbits of info. All courses have lost 20% of class time across the board. The only exception to this is Pharmacology in second year which lost more (around 30%). The upcoming first years will have classes every morning, and their Professional Skills sessions on Wednesday afternoon. Other afternoons are free for the most part for self directed study, with the odd scheduled opportunity to partake in PBL excersises and other things. Of course, topics assigned for self-directed study will be examinable, so first years should not bank on being able to hit the golf course at 1:00 four days a week for the first few months!

Also, the new money from the province is great for the college of medicine, and the probationary status WILL be lifted way before the deadline, but do not be surprised if the university uses it as justification for raising tuition for medical students another 10%. I have it on good authority this is almost a certainty.

Guest kosmo14

Check out the tuition rates for the 2003/2004 academic year they raised them 7.5% to $9894. Here the link to the operating budget with tuition amounts given at the bottom:

www.usask.ca/events/news/...509-1.html

Does this mean that the second year courses lose some of thier material for next year, if so that would be great (some of you looked like you were in rough shape just before finals this year).

Guest saskmedman

Kosmo, yes your classes will be cut back, about 20% of class time lost across the board. I'm not sure that's a good thing though. Take pharmacology for example. We didn't even have enough time to cover everything, and you guys actually have about 33% less time in that class. I advise strongly that you all do A LOT of self-directed study! Let me know if you need any advice along the way!

Rod

Archived