Premed 101 Forums

what is "High level of performance in area of human endeavour"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Win a gold medal in the Olympics, cure cancer, or huck a noogie farther than anyone else on the planet.

If you don't fit in any of the criteria above, be prepared to receive a 0 or a 1 on that section.

AnxiousBoy is actually correct.

High level of achievement points are awarded to people who do anything (be it research, musical performance, karate competitions, athletics) to a high level, defined as something recognized at the national or international level.

These points are awared sparingly; 2 is considered an excellent score (yes, even though the section is marked out of 5). The 5's, I'd imagine, are reserved for people who have made great accomplishments / competed successfully on the international stage.

because i've heard of cases where ubc rejected students for being too involved in research. some were rejected because their referees mentioned the students would perform well in future research (this usually adds bonus marks in the US because this is necessary to advance medicine - overall canadian schools give the impression they want primary care physicians, not medical scientists) OR maybe it's one of those lame excuses ubc gives. i'm sure lots of people with remarkable accomplishments in research got in UBC...who knows?

but *ahem* it's about time to pick up some sports for next yr's olympics. :D

________

Buy Extreme Q Vaporizer

UBC likely does the most the research in Canada other than UofT. Why do you think that they built the LSC. Sure, for med students - but primarily for research. UBC not care about research - I think not. It is just not manditory.

If you first author an NEJM article you are scoring high on that human endevor section. Second author in BCMJ - not so much. You get the idea.

d

maybe...too much grey area in regards to what ubc likes and not like...no one can give a definite answer...i've become very skeptical :(

and ubc doesn't do THAT much research...i really doubt they're second to UT

horlicks...ya they do that much research.

I am sure UBC has something against research. Last year, I got rejected because of the negative comments in my ref letter (my interview socre rocked). I went to the review session and a lady read the letter to me. There is no negative comment except the part which my prof mentioned I would be a great researcher and I am very into research. Obviously, instead of mentioning the quality of a good doctor, my prof only mentioned the quality of a good researcher and that's the negative comments in UBC's point of views.

________

Sexychiku

i am in love with ocean kayaking (went on my first major kayak trip for 7 days along the BC-Washington coast). Hopefully that counts for something!! It's all recreational though (I'm not part of an official team and I don't want to change that)...

I think I have to agree with Leviathan. I don't really understand the point of having such a category because I feel like it excludes a lot of people. To be part of a national team, karate, dance: not only requires a huge time committment but also lots of MONEY. Not everyone has that. Then again, nothing's fair. (Just my two cents. And inner green eyed monster talking!)

evp

During the feedback session last year, there was talk about eliminating this category and I thought to myself, "finally, these folks are starting to do something right". Then they go ahead and cut just 1.5 marks. Talk about moving two steps forward, one step backwards. Oh well. I guess this category is the great equalizer for those applying in their later years (assuming that more time = more experience and opportunities).

Archived