Premed 101 Forums

what is "High level of performance in area of human endeavour"

The best advice, to the last 2 people in this thread, is to leave it blank if you don't feel there is anything you could put in there. That's what most of the posts above have said. 

thanks lokiki

could i private message you the activity to get your thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you include having a Performer's ARCT in piano and violin in the "high level of performance" category or rather extracurricular? It is the highest level in Canada, and I achieved 95 percentile scores.... however, I have not won any international competitions.

Without being rude, I would have to say no only because of your latter comment about not winning international competitions. Some may disagree with my judgement, but based on my peers I would say the ones who filled that category were very decorated individuals. Again, nothing against your amazing dedication to music but maybe slot it in somewhere else if you can?

Would you include having a Performer's ARCT in piano and violin in the "high level of performance" category or rather extracurricular? It is the highest level in Canada, and I achieved 95 percentile scores.... however, I have not won any international competitions.

I would say yes, it belongs there. Like someone else mentioned, would any other 2 applicants have it? I doubt it. International competitions- what does that mean? For a comparison, with the "olympic athlete" thing that seems to always get brought up, many olympic-level athletes would never have won internationally either.  

I would say yes, it belongs there. Like someone else mentioned, would any other 2 applicants have it? I doubt it. International competitions- what does that mean? For a comparison, with the "olympic athlete" thing that seems to always get brought up, many olympic-level athletes would never have won internationally either.

I guess the Olympic athlete doesn't mean "won gold" but is more nationally ranked amongst peers. Just use your judgement as really you're the only one who knows how high of an achievement it is and whether or not you truly are in a high level compared to peers in the same area.

I agree with your point overall... perhaps not the Olympic analogy (its pretty hard to qualify or be drafted (for team sports) as a Canadian without some kind accomplishment, even the mostly amateur sports have Canadian Trials to see who will represent the country, and other sports have rules that say you have to podium at a international event to qualify)

So I agree that you don't need to win something for it be on the list as a competition. However I clearly don't understand how international competition works for piano and violin. Is it like a karate competition that you can just sign up for if you have a black belt? or is it something you need to qualify for first, like you have to be in the top 100 ranked to compete internationally or something... cause if so then I would agree and say put that on there. 

I would say follow herewego's advice, and if you choose not to add it to high achievement, it sounds like you got some pretty nice local and provincial awards to add to your application which will look nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived