Premed 101 Forums

Switching residency position starting july 1st, is it possible?

Has anyone ever seen an instance or switched residencies mutually from one program to the other, like I matched to family in Calgary and want to switch to Ottawa family due to personal reasons. Any guidance in this matter will be much appreciated.

It's extremely unlikely that you'd be able to switch from the get-go, but after 6 months or more likely a year is certainly possible. Inter-provincial transfers absolutely do happen, so while it will be challenging, it is definitely a realistic possibility.

Postgrad divisions have specific policies for this, see for example MUN's: http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/adefe862-64d9-4198-b3a8-48fe60539ed4/Guideline-Transfer-Policy-between-University.aspx

• 3 years later...

Bump. I have seen my fair share of residents transfer programs (at least 10% of residents I know have).

Here are good links with resources:

http://www.myparo.ca/Program_Transfer_Guide

http://residentdoctors.ca/training/resident-transfers/

have any managed to do what the OP suggested? An immediate transfer effectively? 

I haven't seen that myself :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information bentobox1234. Residents change programs or locations for various personal or family reasons. Maybe we can use this thread as a resource on available residency and fellowship positions for residents who wish to switch or swap positions, using the headings Program, PGY levelLocation (province/city), and Starting date.

For instance, using infotech's example above,

Available: Family Medicine, PGY 2, Calgary, July 1st 2017.

Looking for: Family Medicine, PGY 2, Ottawa, July 1st 2017.

Thank you for the information bentobox1234. Residents change programs or locations for various personal or family reasons. Maybe we can use this thread as a resource on available residency and fellowship positions for residents who wish to switch or swap positions, using the headings Program, PGY levelLocation (province/city), and Starting date.

For instance, using infotech's example above,

Available: Family Medicine, PGY 2, Calgary, July 1st 2017.

Looking for: Family Medicine, PGY 2, Ottawa, July 1st 2017.

It doesn't work exactly like this. You can't transfer on July 1st. It is typically at least 6 months into residency, but I have also seen people transfer later on in residency. Also I don't think people would be inclined to put on a public forum where they are located for residency and where they want to be transferred to. It makes it easy to identify the resident in question.

It's also tricky, because both residents would have to be released by their current program and accepted by their new program.  Programs aren't just going to let you swap yourself out for somebody they've never met.

People definitely transfer programs but everybody I know who has done it has gone through their faculty's formal process.

It's also tricky, because both residents would have to be released by their current program and accepted by their new program.  Programs aren't just going to let you swap yourself out for somebody they've never met.

People definitely transfer programs but everybody I know who has done it has gone through their faculty's formal process.

yeah, and even more you have to also get approval from the university post graduate office as well. There is a level above just the program that also is involved. All of this takes time. 

Archived