Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Biology Undergraduate Courses

Hey premeds!

I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for third and fourth year Biology courses at western? Obviously I am looking for courses that are possible to get high grades in, but great profs and interesting content would be awesome!

I've taken a wide variety of biology subjects so far, so any info on good or bad courses would be great. I still need 1.0 3rd year biology and 1.5 4th year biology credits.

Thanks in advance! And if anyone wants opinions on Bio 3316, Bio 3435, Bio 3338, or Bio 3229 in exchange I can definitely do that.

Side note: Anyone here have experience with Bio 3355 (cell biology of stress) or Cell phys 3140? I'm wondering which course would be more similar/easier to do well in considering I've taken Advanced Cell Bio 3316.

Hey premeds!

I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for third and fourth year Biology courses at western? Obviously I am looking for courses that are possible to get high grades in, but great profs and interesting content would be awesome!

I've taken a wide variety of biology subjects so far, so any info on good or bad courses would be great. I still need 1.0 3rd year biology and 1.5 4th year biology credits.

Thanks in advance! And if anyone wants opinions on Bio 3316, Bio 3435, Bio 3338, or Bio 3229 in exchange I can definitely do that.

Side note: Anyone here have experience with Bio 3355 (cell biology of stress) or Cell phys 3140? I'm wondering which course would be more similar/easier to do well in considering I've taken Advanced Cell Bio 3316.

if it doesn't need to be bio specifically then I would suggest Pathology 3240, if they still offer it (I took it a couple of years ago). Pretty easy 90+. 

How was 3229?

3229 was okay. One really good thing about it was that this year the final exam was the week of March 21st, so it was nice to be done the lecture content a few weeks early and not have to balance it with other finals. The labs are amazing, great TAs and fun to do dissections of different marine organisms each week. Both the labs and essays are easy to do well on (90+), and the essays are only 800 words. The midterm however did not go well. It only had a 55% average with half the class failing. I did fine on it but feel I got lucky with the things I studied and I could have easily not thought the things he tested on were important. We don't have the final exam marks back but it felt a lot better than the midterm. It had a lot of questions I knew he was going to ask so the questions weren't so random. I wouldn't say to 100% take or avoid this course, but if learning about a whole bunch of animals interests you then it is worth considering!

Do you have any recommendations?

if it doesn't need to be bio specifically then I would suggest Pathology 3240, if they still offer it (I took it a couple of years ago). Pretty easy 90+. 

Unfortunately I need to stick to the biology department but thanks for the reply! I'll recommend this to my med sci friends.

It seems like you have already taken so many third year biology classes, if you need to get a lab component in you should consider histology offered in the med sci program. Its online, a decent amount of work but I found it cool, and as long as you stay on top of it, it is A-ok! 

Just a heads up, Cell Phys isn't actually a "Biology" course, it's offered by the "Physiology" department. So if you specifically need a biology course, I'm not sure if it would count.

Ah yes thanks! I am allowed one more 0.5 med sci course in place of a biology course and was pretty set on this one since I've taken similar courses and it's one of the few that I can sign up for right away rather than waiting until restrictions drop (I think most med sci courses fill by then). but I guess I would be open to a 0.5 3rd year med sci course that I have the pre-reqs for as well!

For fourth year courses I took 4355, cell bio of aging. Interesting and not a lot of work. Seminar in cell bio 4930, this class totally depends on who your prof is. I had Timoshenko, and there were quite a few small assignments, but all quick and easy and marked very nicely. I also took selected topics of cell biology 4300, which was Stem Cells with Kelly, also minimal work, easily marked. 

For third year classes I took patterns of life diversity, 3484, and it was super easy. Boring, but easy. 

It seems like you have already taken so many third year biology classes, if you need to get a lab component in you should consider histology offered in the med sci program. Its online, a decent amount of work but I found it cool, and as long as you stay on top of it, it is A-ok! 

This is extremely helpful, thanks so much for the suggestions and information!  :)

• 2 months later...

I would suggest taking Biology 3592 and 3598. The content for both the courses are pretty interesting and straightforward. Biology 3598 has a midterm and final. Weekly quizzes and a group presentation. All in all a 90 is definitely possible for that course. The professor is pretty specific with certain expectations, but it is definitely not hard to do well in her course. For 3592 there are weekly quizzes, but the exams are very straightforward.

How was Biology 3338?

I would suggest taking Biology 3592 and 3598. The content for both the courses are pretty interesting and straightforward. Biology 3598 has a midterm and final. Weekly quizzes and a group presentation. All in all a 90 is definitely possible for that course. The professor is pretty specific with certain expectations, but it is definitely not hard to do well in her course. For 3592 there are weekly quizzes, but the exams are very straightforward.

How was Biology 3338?

I had really been thinking about 3592 and I might go with it! Glad to hear you found it straightforward. I had the 3598 prof for another course I took and I found it really challenging, sometimes hard to figure out what she wanted us to take away from lecture. Did the course focus on research a lot? Her other one had a lot of exam questions based on interpreting figures from a study or coming up with research ideas which was probably the hardest part for me, so if it's not in 3598 I might consider taking it (really in need of a good second semester course so this might be it).

3338 was easily my favourite course I've taken. Damjanovski is an amazing prof. All the exams had over an 80% average because a) he teaches really well and B ) wants the class to understand and do well. The material taught was also really interesting, making it even better. I couldn't recommend it more, and I think everyone in the class would agree.

I had really been thinking about 3592 and I might go with it! Glad to hear you found it straightforward. I had the 3598 prof for another course I took and I found it really challenging, sometimes hard to figure out what she wanted us to take away from lecture. Did the course focus on research a lot? Her other one had a lot of exam questions based on interpreting figures from a study or coming up with research ideas which was probably the hardest part for me, so if it's not in 3598 I might consider taking it (really in need of a good second semester course so this might be it).

3338 was easily my favourite course I've taken. Damjanovski is an amazing prof. All the exams had over an 80% average because a) he teaches really well and B ) wants the class to understand and do well. The material taught was also really interesting, making it even better. I couldn't recommend it more, and I think everyone in the class would agree.

She teaches 3316 and used to teach 3597. I honestly am not a big fan of her methods of teaching. Truth be told, I barely went to her classes but managed a low 90, however if I did go to class, I definitely would have done better. The material is dry in the beginning, but its not too difficult. I guess the easiness of the course, caused me to not attend class. But there is not much of her research on the midterm to say, just lecture material. But on the final exam, she had one question from her own research, but she taught a lecture on it. Truth be told, its not a hard course at all, as long as you know what to write down. If you even talk to the TAs, they would give you a better idea on how to tackle her questions. But I would definitely suggest that course. 

I also heard about 3355 being an easy course, but I personally have not taken it. If your looking for fourth year courses, you should try political biology, heard its a sweet course.

• 4 weeks later...

3218 and 3602 are awesome mark boosters!

I'll admit that 3218 isn't the most interesting class ever (ie. studying for the tests consists of memorizing tons and tons of Latin names of fungi), but professor Thorn is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable on the topic; he gave us a greater appreciation for the field of mycology! I found that the course became more interesting throughout the semester, since I was starting to appreciate how cool fungal species are. If you don't mind memorizing names and writing a (very easy) report, it's an easy 90+. 

3602 is super interesting if you're interested in physiology and learning about how animals can adapt to certain situations and environments. It was also an easy 90+ for me, since the professor is very clear about his grading method and what he expects from us in the short and long answer questions on exams. I would assume that 3601 is also super cool, but I don't know how the grading and assignments are since I didn't take it. 

3218 and 3602 are awesome mark boosters!

I'll admit that 3218 isn't the most interesting class ever (ie. studying for the tests consists of memorizing tons and tons of Latin names of fungi), but professor Thorn is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable on the topic; he gave us a greater appreciation for the field of mycology! I found that the course became more interesting throughout the semester, since I was starting to appreciate how cool fungal species are. If you don't mind memorizing names and writing a (very easy) report, it's an easy 90+. 

3602 is super interesting if you're interested in physiology and learning about how animals can adapt to certain situations and environments. It was also an easy 90+ for me, since the professor is very clear about his grading method and what he expects from us in the short and long answer questions on exams. I would assume that 3601 is also super cool, but I don't know how the grading and assignments are since I didn't take it. 

I'll have to add that the labs in 3218 are extremely, extremely tedious. The lectures, presentation, and paper were fine, but those labs were a HUGE pain. No one ever really got out before 2 hours and a half. That being said I do agree that it was still an easy 90+. 

I'll have to add that the labs in 3218 are extremely, extremely tedious. The lectures, presentation, and paper were fine, but those labs were a HUGE pain. No one ever really got out before 2 hours and a half. That being said I do agree that it was still an easy 90+. 

What made you think they were a pain? I breezed through all of the labs, except for the 2nd one. I loved them!

What made you think they were a pain? I breezed through all of the labs, except for the 2nd one. I loved them!

Really? Maybe because I didn't find the material that interesting and I inherently hate labs. But I'm glad others enjoyed them then!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Overall which two 3000+ biology courses are the easiest (GPA, interesting content, workload)?

3338 and 3355. There's literally nothing that comes close. It's pretty telling when they're the first two courses to fill up immediately during course enrollment as well.

Archived